Need Help Choosing The Best Rear Gear

Jrodstang87

Feb 27, 2016
Hi guys, I need some input here. I have an 87 foxbody. HCI with 3.55 gears. It's a weekend toy that I beat the piss out of at the track when I can. I blew up another WC t5 recently, and I am in the process of getting an astro A5. The A5 has the 2.95 first gear as opposed to the 3.35 T5 first gear. My issue is I don't want to hurt my track times by having a longer first gear. Do you think it will hurt? The best I have run is a 13.0 @110 with a 1.694 60' and that was with a badly slipping clutch. Do you think I will benefit going to a 3.73 gear or staying with the 3.55s? I have 26" rear tires. Thanks for any input

• Sponsors (?)

While I'm sure thers a calculator out there, you're probably best to get your new tranny installed then hit the track as is. See whatyour trap speeds and finish line rpms are and post that info up along with the mods done to your car

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I first took my hci setup home after installing a tko600 with a similar first gear (2.87) and 3.73's, I must say, I hated it. Felt like I was in first gear for a lifetime.
Had I not went to a much more powerful setup (that makes a ton down low), I indeed would have went to 4.10's.
The tko600 does have a .64 5th which helps a little too for highway rpm.

If you plan on a power adder soon, i'd say just leave it as is.
If not, I would change the rear to 4.10's.

Reactions: 1 user
Cool, thanks for the input. The car will probably stay NA for the foreseeable future. I will definitely consider the 4.10s. I imagine 1st gear would feel too long with 3.55s and a 2.95 first.

Whats your exact hci set up? 4.10's should help most likely, you are probably crossing the traps way too low with the 3.55's. I have 4.30's and they're no where near as bad as you'd think on the highway.