Need help from PC users (buying a new hard drive)

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
My hard drive sucks and is dying slowly... im about to buy a new one somewhere in the 100-150 gig range, but i dont know the good (reputable) brands.. any info, or help in what i should look for would be great. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

ok good deal, thanks for the info.... im going to look online and see what i can come up with... i hate going into best buy for stuff like that. any prefrences of online stores i should shop at?

by the way... what RPMs should i be looking at ?

FarBeyondDriven said:
ok good deal, thanks for the info.... im going to look online and see what i can come up with... i hate going into best buy for stuff like that. any prefrences of online stores i should shop at?

by the way... what RPMs should i be looking at ?
NEWEGG.COM!!!!!!!
Serisouly, newegg.com
Nothing below 7200 rpms imo, and nothing under 8MB Cache...

My mp3 plaer got stolen from me, so i use my laptop as my mp3 player, not like I carry it everywhere, but I have it in my car with one of the fm transmitters, so far i have 7 gig of only country, haven't had the chance to rip my other cds, slip knot, RHCP, subblime, disturbed, nickelback and other rock, haven't started downloading anything else yet, cuz it is kind of new to me, also I failed to mention I am getting it for 50 bucks from my neighbor, who's laptop took a crap on him

89stangWhiz said:
NEWEGG.COM!!!!!!!
Serisouly, newegg.com
Nothing below 7200 rpms imo, and nothing under 8MB Cache...

Ok, thanks for the site! now what the hell is this SATA stuff im looking at.. i have no idea what that is...

89stangWhiz said:
SATA = Serial ATA, and I am guessing you dont care about it.

Your looking for an internal HardDrive right? Chances are you want an IDE harddrive... Thats the most common. O, and internal desktop harddrives are 3.5" (notebooks/laptops 2.5").

ok gotcha.... so i guess what im looking for now is an 3.5" IDE desktop hard drive, between 100-200 gigs, 7200 rpms, and no less than 8mg cache

a dude i work with said he has had nothing but probalems from seagates, and he was a programmer.. so i think im leaning towards maxtor and WD. ok, this is alot more involved than i thought.

personal opinion i guess. I am a programmer also, and like I said my preference earlier, I rely on almost nothing but Seagate. They are still lasting me through countless years of abuse still with quiet operation. But, you cant really go wrong either way.

90mustangGT said:
20GB is nothing in todays terms. I would spring for something worthwhile. How old is the laptop? I would always look into the price of new vs. upgrading.
Laptop is 3 years old, I reformatted the HD and put xp on it a few weeks ago, it runs like a champ and is pretty nice, it is a Dell Latitude C510/C610, 50 bucks or a 500+ dollar laptop, i think i'll get the HD

i build computers, and trust me brands dont mean THAT much. u need to look more into the specs of the hard drive.
im assuming u are just getting and ide hard drive so go with western digital or seagate. if those are to expensive for u check out newegg.com they have ALOT of cheaper brands. samsung makes great hard drives for cheap.