Need help getting the most power out of my setup.

Shadrack

Aug 2, 2005
My car is a stock bottom end, with weight reduction.

Holley Systemaxx Aluminum heads
Weiand Action+ Intake (thinking about changing this)
Holley 750 cfm carb
1.6 Lunati Roller Rockers
Have no idea what kind of cam it has, soon to find out.
Underdrive pullies
Aluminum Radiator
Electric Fans
Hooker Super-Comp equal-length headers, x-pipe, dumped flows. Long tubes would help quite a bit I think, with 3" pipes.
MSD 6AL Box, MSD Distributor, 9mm plug wires, etc. etc.
3.73 Posi Gears
100% Stock T-5 tranny, hopefully be putting some kind of shifter in soon

Weight reduction consists of stripped trunk, racing seats, power door locks, power steering, A/C, back seat, plus a few other things.

It has potential, timing right now is very conservative. I think I could pick up 20+ hp with the right carb adjustments and timing. I seen a show where they took a stock 302 carb'd motor and gained 38 rwhp on the dyno just by advancing timing and properly adjusting the carb. Hopefully, i'll be able to get this done when the car is back together so the car will be at its full potential.

Anyways, how can I squeeze out more HP when the engine is apart? Any tips/tricks? I think if I changed my intake it would help my engine suck in the gas better that the 750 cfm is pump'n out. I'm also going to take a dremel drill and buzz around the intake/exhaust/combustion chambers a little bit and smooth them out real nicely, as well as on the intake. I've even thought about getting the heads shaved more, would that help quite a bit??? I know not knowing my cam duration is not really helping you guys any, but I have not a clue what is in it. The motor is coming out Dec. 17th and getting tore apart and gone over nicely.

Thanks! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

A show gain will not be the same as your gain. I mean 38hp on adjusting the carb and timing? That car must have been running like complete :crapola:. I think you would be very lucky to see twenty. I bet the most you will find will be around 10hp if your car is running decent.

As for using the dremel. Measure twice cut once... One little mistake can be a bitch to fix.

I watched the show on spike channel, I can't remember the actual name of the show. They took the carb out of the box, and just got the car running by putting the dizzy on there. Did a base pull. Then running extremely rich, dejetted the carb, advanced timing so many degrees and eventually picked up 38 rwhp from the base pull. It was running 93 octane, 10.5 to 1 compression I believe.
Again, you can't believe everything you see on these shows.

Hmmm...... might be best to just clean everything up and put it back together then. I can't afford to buy new heads.