Need help identifying problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

I'll try to describe it as best as I can. Hopefully someone has some kind of idea what happened.....

I was a few blocks away from my house when I heard a pop from the engine and the car started to sound like a loud steam locomotive (fast paced cha cha cha cha). I limped home, popped the hood and couldn't find the problem. The car seems to drive (accelerate) fine but the more gas I give it the louder and faster the sound gets. It seems to be coming from the passenger-side area of the motor.

At first I thought I broke a timing chain but the more I think about it the more I dont think thats the issue. I thought maybe I blew a gasket but theres no fluid anywhere.

I realize this is kind of a vague description but any help is appreciated. I'll try to get a video of it later on tonight.

:(

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to say you blew a spark plug out.

Carefully inspect the COPs. Are they all seated? Pull each one out and check the plugs...

All of the COP's seem like they're seated fine except for two, one on th drivers side and one on the passenger side. The one on the passenger side is broken off where the screw secures it to the head.

I pulled both out and inspected the plugs. The plugs LOOK fine. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

This is the passenger side COP (it looks trashed)
sorry about the quality (POS phone)
m6fe1.jpg

Replace that COP and boot. Retighten all plugs and go from there. If the plugs start to back out before they blow out they make a ticking sound that increases with RPM's. I've been there dude. If the ticking continues try disconnecting the COP and seeing if the plug isn't misfiring or something of that sort.

Yep. Ask yourself how the end of that COP boot got burned like that.

Check the plug in that hole...

Actually, that "mess" on the end of that boot is electrical tape. Dont ask me why its there......

Replace that COP and boot. Retighten all plugs and go from there. If the plugs start to back out before they blow out they make a ticking sound that increases with RPM's. I've been there dude. If the ticking continues try disconnecting the COP and seeing if the plug isn't misfiring or something of that sort.

Im done messing with it tonight. I'll get back on it tomorrow. I did notice a slight ticking sound before this happened but attributed it to a problem with the timing chain and guides. I haven't gotten down into the plug wells to check the plugs yet (I will tomorrow), but the plugs look secure.

I just got the car back today after a week (installed full exhaust and had the rack & pinion changed) and now this happens :nonono: