Need Help, Missaligned Engine, Trany, Driveshaft+Unknown Noise

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
My regular shop finally got back to me with the noise that came out of no where.

It turns out that the engine has a broken motor mount, its crooked-cocked to one side.

Then the tranny is also crooked and the drive shaft may or may not be bent.

The rear end has been taken apart and put together several times but the noise has persisted. Then all of the above problems were noticed.

Now I have my hands full-This thing is such a money pit!
What do you all suggest I do?
How much would you estimate the repairs to cost me?

I am getting into Karting so the stang may take a year off. It sucks because I have these brand new Sparco Torino 2 seats just begging to be installed.

• Sponsors (?)

You know Ben, I dont have any idea if the mount was broken when the trany was installed. I guess I'll never know but I like your thinking. Besides motor mounts are not going to rape my bank account.

It looks like I have to get the mount fixed then probabally have the holes welded up for the brace then have them redrilled to properly align everything.

What do you guys think, How much is this going to cost me?
Guesses/Estimates?

well u can get either the poly mounts or rubber. I got my poly's on ebay for like $140 with the engine and tranny mounts. It's a pretty easy swap... loosen up the motor mount bolts, jack up the side of the engine ur working on and replace the mounts with the new ones. You might have to take off your stb if u cant get the engine high enough.

try that first and see if it helps or not then you can go from there about the crossmember, etc.

You know Ben, I dont have any idea if the mount was broken when the trany was installed. I guess I'll never know but I like your thinking. Besides motor mounts are not going to rape my bank account.

It looks like I have to get the mount fixed then probabally have the holes welded up for the brace then have them redrilled to properly align everything.

What do you guys think, How much is this going to cost me?
Guesses/Estimates?

in all actuality the tranny brackets should still be alright. i know my motor mounts were/are shot when i put mine in. i just made sure the brackets were all the way flush with the subframe before i welded them in.

if you replace motor mounts and makes your engine too high then look into a vert mount that might drop the motor back down to make everything level again.

btw i would not shoot straight for the poly mounts first--they tend to be a little higher than a rubber mount. same goes for the tranny. there are a number of diff mounts you can try to get it all plumbed in.

good luck and let us know what happens.