Need help on picking a cam

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well first of all I dont even know if I want to go with a cam. But if I do go with a cam, I am debating between the B303, E303 or trick flow stage 1 cam. So far the TFS cam seems to be the best but want the best possible idle too, what do you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

I run the E303 cause it's smog legal here in CA(TFS would probably also pass here, but I never looked real far into it), and I've been real happy with it. Looks like the TFS is pretty close on lift, .498 to .499/510 on TFS, duration is a little more on the E, 298 vs. 275/279 split on the TFS, the 112 lobe center on the TFS is gonna make it sound a little more lopey. 110 on the E, mine idles great at 800, had to play with it for a while to get it to stop surging, a few adjustments of the idle control and the TPS sensor, but finally got it dialed. Sounds bitchin, runs like a raped ape. The B is going to idle pretty rough with the lobe center split 107/117. I would stick to the E or the TFS(flip a quarter), I think either one is a good choice. B might be a bit much.

Be specific :)

Tell us what you want or expect from your modifications :shrug:

What are the goals you have been thinking about for your Stang :shrug:

Lots of peeps here have done different things to their Stangs :D
so
You will get much more valid info if you spell it out for everybody ;)

Grady

Be specific :)

Tell us what you want or expect from your modifications :shrug:

What are the goals you have been thinking about for your Stang :shrug:

Lots of peeps here have done different things to their Stangs :D
so
You will get much more valid info if you spell it out for everybody ;)

Grady

:lol:

I knew your reply would be something like that :flag:

Also consider the Steeda #19 cam for an out-of-the-box cam.
RC

I run the E303 cause it's smog legal here in CA(TFS would probably also pass here, but I never looked real far into it), and I've been real happy with it. Looks like the TFS is pretty close on lift, .498 to .499/510 on TFS, duration is a little more on the E, 298 vs. 275/279 split on the TFS, the 112 lobe center on the TFS is gonna make it sound a little more lopey. 110 on the E, mine idles great at 800, had to play with it for a while to get it to stop surging, a few adjustments of the idle control and the TPS sensor, but finally got it dialed. Sounds bitchin, runs like a raped ape. The B is going to idle pretty rough with the lobe center split 107/117. I would stick to the E or the TFS(flip a quarter), I think either one is a good choice. B might be a bit much.

I went with the same cam also. I looked into TFS 1, Thought E cam would be better for mild set up. Of course custom cam is the best but if you are on a budget Crane or E cam is great choice. All depends on what you are running...:nice:

without your goals its kind of hard to decide. the b cam is a N/A cam so boost is out of the question. the e-cam is a decent beginner cam but it can be hit or miss. most everybody loves their tfs1 cam. the steeda #19 has had some good response too.

In no way am I all that knowledgeable with cams

but

With OEM heads and how they flow kinda not so good on the exhaust ......
it would seem that a cam that favors the exhaust to crutch up the
heads short commings might be in order :shrug:

A fellow by the name of Thumper does lots of work with OEM stuff
so you might look him up in a search and contact him with your
specs on the ported parts :)

The only thing you have given about what you expect is a good idle :shrug:

Most any STREET cam can be made to idle nicely with a good tune ;)

Grady

Well the heads are going to be flowing in aftermarket head out of the box range if not better and the exhaust ports opened up to match of course. But yeah a cam that favors the exhaust side does help. And the reason for the wanting of the still good idle is because I am not to picky on a disgusting amount out of the cam. Just enough without ruining its DD ability.

And the reason for the wanting of the still good idle is because I am not to picky on a disgusting amount out of the cam. Just enough without ruining its DD ability.

Man ... I'm a tellin ya :)

A tune ... a good tune that is ..........
will take care of all those drivability gremlins :D

Pick a cam that will make you some good power :nice:
and
A good broad torque curve ;)

then

You tune away any issues that might crop up :Word:

If you focus your choice on a cam that will be tame enough to ensure
the 94-95 pcm plays nice with it

It is almost a given ... Power will be left on the table :(

Just my thoughts but It worked out OK for me :)

Talk to one of those cam gurus ... Won't cost ya to see what they say :shrug:

Grady