Need help picking out an alternator.

mach1972

Jul 15, 2003
I am looking to pick up a powermaster 140a alternator for my 72 mach with 351 cleveland. Can anyone make a suggestion on which one will fit my application?

I have heard of people using gm style but I don't know what is involved in making it fit. I would like to get a delco one wire because the price seems lower.

Please help me out.

Thanks!
Josh

• Sponsors (?)

get an alternator from a third generation mustang, I think they put out about 130 amps, and you can get them with a "lifetime" warranty from autozone or whatever auto parts store you shop at...and its not that difficult to install.

I posted a thread similar to this a little while back, but no responses. I did find an article, (forgot where on the web) that a GM alternator would work on an early Ford engine. The bottom bolt will need a 1/2" spacer or washers as Ford alternators are a 1/2" shorter on the bottom bolt and the top adjusting bracket is 1/8" of difference which shouldn't be much of a difference. Yes, I've been searching for a GM one wire 100 amp and they are a little cheaper than Ford alternators. Yet another project to tackle, but first back to the carb..........

molano65 said:
get an alternator from a third generation mustang, I think they put out about 130 amps, and you can get them with a "lifetime" warranty from autozone or whatever auto parts store you shop at...and its not that difficult to install.

Thats an idea, although I don't think it would be a one wire setup? Wouldn't I need the factory wiring clip for it also?

I put the Dixie GM one wire on mine. Took some customization but it's a lot more simple to wire, and still puts out the power. You can pick them up at O'Reilly. Each store should keep at least one in stock. I can get the part # for you if you need it.

-shaun