Need help selecting budget performance combo

cbr3

Jul 4, 2011
My dad and I are building a budget performance 306 to put in my 1984 GT. I want a torquey daily driver that that will probably be driven hard (I'm 17 and can't help it ) and see the strip a few times a year. Ideally I'd like to see at least 300rwhp and 330rwtq. It has the T5 manual and an 8.8 with 3.55's out back.

Here's my tentative combo:

306ci short block that accepts a roller cam from 50resto.com
Edelbrock E-Street heads (1.90" valves)
Weiand Stealth intake
Holley 600cfm 4-barrel carb (part# 0-80452)

I need help finding a cam that will provide good torque and power from idle to 5500rpm. From what I've seen the factory 5.0 roller cam is the best for that. Another consideration is the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam. I don't need a radical cam, and custom is out of the budget. Is there anyone who makes a direct replacement 5.0 roller cam, I can't find one, and I'd prefer to stay away from used. How much would 1.7 rocker arms help?
I also need exhaust header recommendations, please.
If I have overlooked something, or if the parts are not compatible, please tell me. This is a bit ovewhelming.
Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd avoid the e street heads, seems to be alot of problems with them and what types of cams work properly with them.
Just economize by buying something better, Twisted wedges or afr 165's.

For the headers just use a set of ford racing shorties.

Check out Comp's line of XE cams.

Swapping out the stock 5.0 HO cam may be one of the last mods that someone should make to their car, but if you're starting from scratch, there is better stuff out there. I wouldn't waste your money or time looking for someone to grind you a copy of the stock HO cam.

The TFS cams are a bit outdated. I wouldn't waste time or money on one of those, either, unless someone practically gave it to you for free.

I'm a believer in the Twisted Wedge heads, but there are other good designs out there too. I hate to spread internet rumor about something I have no direct experience with, but I have also heard mixed reviews on the E-Street heads. Do your homework if you want to buy those heads.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going for the E-streets because I found them for about $950. $1300 for the Twisted Wedges is just outside of the budget. Anyone know any good aluminum heads under $1000?

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going for the E-streets because I found them for about $950. $1300 for the Twisted Wedges is just outside of the budget. Anyone know any good aluminum heads under $1000?

Used aluminum heads can save you a ton.
Keep an eye out for gt40x (these may appear expensive NIB but used they shouldn't be more than $750), tw's, edelbrock rpms.
If you find a set for $800 or less (and it's possible) spend the other $200 on a valve job.
In fact, if i were you i wouldn't offer anyone any more money than $800 to save the $200 for the valve job.
Also watch for sales, TW's were on sale at summit for a brief time for $999.

The E street head thing is Not rumor, they are for use with Flat tappet cams only.
And unless you want to spend a bundle machining them to work, you really are going to need to find another head.

There's some TFS 170's on corral right now for $950 plus shipping. Sounds like it will be a fun car, and if you don't have emissions I would personally go for Long tube headers for some better flow.

Used heads are a gamble, be aware of that. So much about a used head is a crap shoot, and all you have to go by is the word that the seller gives you. Heads are one of those things I would never buy used, unless it was coming from an engine builder or a machinist who has a reputation on the line.

Used heads are a gamble, be aware of that. So much about a used head is a crap shoot, and all you have to go by is the word that the seller gives you. Heads are one of those things I would never buy used, unless it was coming from an engine builder or a machinist who has a reputation on the line.
It's can be a risk, that's why you have to get the heads at around 60% of their original value.
In the unlikely event they need to be completely rebuilt you will be even on them, except for they will have a fresh new valve job which is certainly worth it, even for NIB heads.

I think I'll go with the 170cc Twisted Wedges then if I can, thanks. Now, how about that Xe-264HR cam I mention earlier, is it any good for low end torque?

I really don't have much experience with off the shelf cams, other than the E and similars.
But my opinion (and it's going to seem like i'm spending more of your money) is always spend the extra hundred and go custom.
It can be the difference between 300rwhp and 320rwhp.
May not sound like alot, but on a car as light as a fox, it is.