Need help using 3M tape

CPman

Apr 2, 2005
OK, so I'm starting to get a little frustrated here! I am having a problem when installing the middle section of a ducktail rear spoiler. The issue is that the 3M tape does not seem to hold the spoiler in place. The lower edge that runs across just above the tail lights always seems always seems to stick until it gets warm and sunny and then the tape starts to stretch and come apart. I have cleaned the mating surfaces very good and use the primer recommended by 3M. Understand that the tape seems to stick, but when it's warm out (my car is black) the spoiler warps and actually pulls the tape apart. I will be taking this part off for the forth time to fix this problem and I really don't want to have to do this again. Has anyone else had this issue and if so have you had any luck fixing it? Is there perhaps a adhesive that could be used instead of the tape?

Any help would be awsome!

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using the same batch of tape on all 3 installs? Reason I ask is perhaps you got a bad set. I've used 3M installing everything from emblems to spoilers for years and thus far had no problems with it.

I have tried different tape (same brand) that should be good for higher temps. I think the bigger issue is the fact that the spoiler warps so much when the sun shines on it and I'm not sure how to deal with that fact. I really like the look of this product and an not really wanting to replace it with something different.

Do not use an adhesive.

Warm up the tape when it is applied with a blow dryer or heat gun (be careful as ever, if you use this) and keep pressure on the spoiler to assist in the bond. Having a helper in this task will make it a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input, but the issue I'am having is not so much that the tape is not sticking to the trunk lid or to the spoiler. It is more that the tape is sticking to both parts and is actually pulling or stretching apart as the spoiler warps in the heat. It's hard to discribe, it's kind of like when you step on a piece of gum and then lift your your foot and the gum is still stuck to the ground and also to your foot. I really don't want to drill holes in both parts to fix this with screws, but I might have to.

I have the same spoiler and the same issues in the summer.
The only real fix I've seen is drilling the deck lid and screwing the spoiler onto the deck lid.
I have a couple friends with that spoiler and that's what they did... and went even farther by filling in the edges from the body to the spoiler to make it look like part of the body.

before installing allow the car and spoiler and tape to sit out in the sun to warm up that way everything should get to a warmer temp then install the parts and leave out in the sun with pressure on it....this should work...

That's the answer for you right there. Expansion and contraction is fighting you. If you adhere to this advice by installing in the warmer temps, you will be golden.

Mines black as well, cervinis ducktail, and I have zero problems with it approaching 3 years.

Go to kragen or auto zone and get SUPER INDUSTRIAL STRENGHT 3M automotive tape....5 bucks, Peel on side ONLY first, then line up said part PERFECTLY (you will need another set of hands) then slowy peel away the side with the tape as your FIRMLY pressing down. One its on you and buddy hold with MAX pressure for about 1 min ! DONE !

Thanks for all the advice. I think your right Emay, will try and apply the spoiler in hot weather an see what happens. I do have another question for you about the cervinis ducktail. The one I have seems to a little short, as in when the spoiler is centered on the trunk it is about 1/8" shorter than the trunklid from side to side on each side. Have seen this with your spoiler. Just curious.

bigcat, I have the cevinis ducktail spoiler.