Need help w/ 2004 acceleration issue!

Niki.dgm18

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Hi guys! my 2004 mustang has gradually been running rougher n rougher. I bought it about 6 months ago and have always noticed a kind of hesitation as if something was blocked or clogged. Changed The air filter 1st thing. Rough idle kinda shaky. But a couple days ago it started sputtering and losing power while accelerating. Gets worse the faster I go. Very jerky the more I gave it gas. To the point where I’d be getting on the freeway and flooring it and it just chokes and chokes until I get to speed and let go of the gas. Then the sputtering stops. As soon as I give it more gas it sputters and jerks. Last time I was on freeway I was flooring it trying to get up to 75mph and my check engine light dinged and started blinking. It normally stays on solid with no sound. My initial feeling was that it was spark plugs and upon looking it up online that seemed to be the issue. So this morning I go buy 6 factory platinum spark plugs and my friend puts them in. He had several issues with the spark plug cables breaking or something to that nature. So he was having to reconnect the metal clamp connector looking thing to the rubber cable. Upon driving after being p replaced, the issue is still there. Idle is much better and not shaky which is bonus. But what is wrong with my car?! Need to find out ASAP. Please help. Sorry for such a long thread

• Sponsors (?)

First thing to do is put a scanner to it. That check engine light is telling you something is wrong.
second give it a good tune up. Sounds like your plug wires a crap, replace them, change fuel filter then check fuel pressure.
leave the battery cable unhooked for at least half an hour then drive around a while making sure it is up to operating temp the run the scanner again.