Need help w/ Hooker Headers

dmoody

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Hey guys, I broke down and bought a set of the Hooker Super Comp headers. They seem to be very nice, but I don't understand why one side came in two pieces and the other side is altogether. I'm sure that is the way they are supposed to be but why exactly? What is it I'm missing? BTW, these things came with absolutely no instructions.... so I'm really depending on you guys to give me some answers... I'm not sure if I should weld the one side together before or after I bolt the header on? Who all has put these headers on their car? What are some good tips so I don't have to learn the hard way? Thanks!

d

• Sponsors (?)

They are slip fit and the head flange is cut apart like yours in the pics you posted. However the bends on mine don't look anything like yours (probably because mine is for the 302 II). Anyway what is the reason for providing a slip fit and cutting the head flange apart? And why only on the one side?

d

dmoody said:
They are slip fit and the head flange is cut apart like yours in the pics you posted. However the bends on mine don't look anything like yours (probably because mine is for the 302 II). Anyway what is the reason for providing a slip fit and cutting the head flange apart? And why only on the one side?

d
Is it the right(passenger side) that is 2 piece? Some of the headers have the #1 cyl pipe on the pass side cut and it goes under the A arm. you install the solid piece then add the separate one in afterwords.

It is the passenger side, but it is both the #1 and the pipe directly behind that one. I don't see as though you could pass these pipes underneath the A-arm.. they don't come down horizontally anymore than any of the other pipes. I guess I need to take some pics...

d

dmoody said:
It is the passenger side, but it is both the #1 and the pipe directly behind that one. I don't see as though you could pass these pipes underneath the A-arm.. they don't come down horizontally anymore than any of the other pipes. I guess I need to take some pics...

d

I installed a set of these on my II over 20 years ago, assuming that you got the model 6120's for a V8. Yes, the passenger side comes in pieces. Mine was in 3 sections I believe, possibly reengineered to just 2 now. In any case, it allowed for a slip fit installation, where the large section was installed from below and the pieces set in from the top. No welding is necessary, mine never leaked whatsoever. I recall a very easy and straight forward installation, with no clearance problems, and little if any jacking up of the engine necessary to get them in. The steering coupling being the only thing that needed to be unbolted to facilitate installation.

Mstng2 said:
Is it the right(passenger side) that is 2 piece? Some of the headers have the #1 cyl pipe on the pass side cut and it goes under the A arm. you install the solid piece then add the separate one in afterwords.

Those would be Headman hedders with their one and only patented pipe under the frame design :notnice:

I have a modded set now "headman no more"

I agree Vince that would be great... I'm still wondering why my set didn't come with any :(

Jeffnoel, I'm usually so slow to install things on the car that everybody else has done restored theirs by the time I get around to finishing just one part. Anyway if I get the cam I ordered in sometime and manage to get it installed, etc... then I'll be able to put the heads back on, headers, etc. But that could be several weeks. I will take some pictures though when the time rolls around that I do install them :shrug:

d

The headers are a ceramic coating from a local company called 'Kool Coat'. I've had the headers on the car for about 6 months ( 3 months of driving) and they are just as shinny as the day I bought them. The owner of the company said that when they get dirty even 10 years down the road to wash them with soap and water and they will look new again. Pricey but worth it.

PS. My headers will look slightly different in the pictures because they have the flanges welded on, and a few pipes have been bent to go around my T5 bellhousing.