Need help with 351w swap and flaming river install

craymond

Apr 1, 2003
Indianapolis
My apologies if this is a repost. I have a '93 in which I have put a 351w with the MAC swap headers. I also have a flaming river quick ratio manual rack. The problem that I'm having is that I cannot get the steering linkage (particularly the top u-joint) to clear the header. The bottom of the u-joint hits or rubs against the collector of the header.:bang: Has anyone here run into this problem with a 351? I would guess that a 302 wouldn't have this problem due to the difference in deck height. Any suggestions welcomed...

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same headers on mine with stock steering, and it is tight. I have to break a motor mount loose to remove the D side header, or break loose the steering linkage.
Sorry, but I don't have any ideas that don't involve heating the exhaust or hammering on it.
Is it possible that something is not positioned correctly?

Wish you luck

I ran into basically the same problem -
didn't want to restrict that tube any more,
so got a set of the offset poly rack bushings,
used to move the rack slightly toward the
driver side instead of up. Move the shaft
just enuf to get it away from the header -
moved it about 1/16" or 3/32" toward the
driver side.

Had to adjust the tie rods to get steering
wheel re-centered, although it was off
only a very small amount. No problems
turning or steering.

I have actually tried to make clearance by deforming the header, but the rub occurs right near the base of the header. Very difficult to bend it much there.

I am pretty sure that things are positioned correctly. The flaming river kit eliminates the rag joint at the bottom, and uses some fairly robust ujoint couplings. If your stock shaft barely fits with the rag joint then this won't either because of the added coupling thickness and sharper angle formed by the linkage.

I may try Jerry's second idea, except I'll use some 1/2" or so flat bar to fabricate a nice sturdy shim for the motormount.

macx said:
I ran into basically the same problem -
didn't want to restrict that tube any more,
so got a set of the offset poly rack bushings,
used to move the rack slightly toward the
driver side instead of up. Move the shaft
just enuf to get it away from the header -
moved it about 1/16" or 3/32" toward the
driver side.

Had to adjust the tie rods to get steering
wheel re-centered, although it was off
only a very small amount. No problems
turning or steering.

BRILLIANT!

MAC headers consistantly have this problem. I ran into it with the longtube headers that I put on my 302. One of the tubes constantly rubbed on the stearing shaft flex coupling. When it was cold i could barely turn the wheel. I guess MAC is cheaper than anyone else for a reason. I wont ever buy their products again. I would suggest trying to sell them and buy some headers from a company had has better fitment. The whole reason for buying macs was that they were cheap. If i have to spend more money to make them fit I dont want them. I did the same as most of the others removed them heated them and beat the ****ake mushrooms out of them. That way your not spending more money on an inferior product

I think MAC should have a disclaimer. "We claim this bolts right to your motor and chassis........ but you may still have to modify it to work."