Need Help With A Convertible Top Question

tpoch845

Dec 6, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone, I finally scratched my childhood itch and scored a Mustang. I traded my old tired '92 Firebird for an '88 GT convertible! It needs a little love, mainly in the interior. But the top is in terrible shape, and teh back window has completely separated from the rear curtain...

My goal is to get the whole thing replaced in the spring, but I need to do something about the rear window quickly. There is a guy locally selling a rear curtain with glass window for $75, but it is from a '91. From what I have seen advertised, rear curtains fit 83-90, and there is a different part for 91-93.

Is it possible that the '91 will fit my '88? Even if it is a rough patch job?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Can you bring it to a shop and have them use adhesive to reattach the window to the back portion? The main difference iis the frames and how the top fits on the frames, with the 91-93 sitting lower than the 83-90. I don't believe that has any impact on the rear curtain.

With what a shop will charge to reattach tge rear you are better off having tge top and window installed as a kit. As ghetto as it sounds duck tape and cardboard will be your best bet until you can get the whole thing done.

The original curtain is beyond repair, as the fabric is literally disintegrating. I looked at Americanmuscle.com, and found that while tops for 83-90 had different part numbers from 91-93, the rear curtains had the same part number. So I bought the one locally, I hope to get it installed within a week or so.

You can install the rear window yourself. Its easy if you have access to a good stapler. I did my whole top install on my 90 vert a couple of months ago. Is the window you got still stapled to the bottom bow? If it is its as simple as unbolting a few nuts, and zipping a zipper.

Chris

You can install the rear window yourself. Its easy if you have access to a good stapler. I did my whole top install on my 90 vert a couple of months ago. Is the window you got still stapled to the bottom bow? If it is its as simple as unbolting a few nuts, and zipping a zipper.

Chris

The new curtain is still stapled to the bottom bow, so it bolted right in. I do have a problem with the new part, though...the zipper teeth on my old top are fine, and the teeth on the zipper from the curtain are course. ARRRGGGGG!

I need to replace the top, but I was hoping that this would at least get me on the road now. I found a guy locally that is selling a new, in the box top. It comes with the cheap plastic window - I am hoping that the rear curtain that I bought will match up with this top. I am going to meet him right after Christmas.

Chris, any advice on the top replacement? I am pretty mechanically inclined, and I feel like it shouldn't be a big deal to replace mine, but I have read some posts that have scared me a little about attempting to install one. I didn't wake up on a pile of money this morning, and I really don't want to pay a shop for labor...

I didnt want to pay either. Thats the main reason I did mine myself. Find an installation dvd and follow along. As long as you have a powerful stapler and some patience its not the nightmare some people make it out to be.