Need help with brake cable install

e50095

Jul 3, 2010
I'm replacing the rear brake cables on my 93, and I'm stuck. I got the old ones off, routed the new ones through the frame and into the backing plate, and am almost ready to start putting on new shoes, and hardware. Problem is I can't get the lever attached to the cable. I try to pull the spring up so I can hook the cable to the lever, but just can't seem to get enough movement. Of course it also won't hold still. Can someone hip me to the correct process.....this is really getting frustrating. If I can just get those levers attached to the cables, it's all downhill from there....

thanks....

Ken in Pa.

• Sponsors (?)

Grab the end of the cable where the stop is crimped on with a pair of vise grips. Wiggle a pair if dikes in between the spring and the stop swaged on the end of the cable. Hold the dikes stationary and pull on the vise grips. Once you get about 1 1/2" bare cable, squeeze down hard on the dikes so that they grip the bare cable. With the brake shoes loose from the backing plate, wiggle the e-brake arm into place over the bare cable. Release the dikes and it will let the spring lock against the e-brake arm. Don't worry about the dikes doing any damage to the e-brake cable. It is sturdy enough that you couldn't cut it with a pair of dikes unless you are the Incredible Hulk... :D