Need help with choosing a good rear axle ratio

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the input, guys! I used a couple different gear ratio calculators and knew what cruising RPMs I'd see with each ratio, bur really wanted some feedback with real world experience. I think I'm going with the 3.55.

Reactions: 2 users
355 ftw, that is what I have and I have made a lot of bonsai runs up the interstate all over central FL. I used the black gear in the trans for the speedometer and it is accurate. Can't remember how tall my tires are, maybe 26" or 28" , I can measure when I go out there.
25" rear tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I was looking for a Fox, I drove two with 3.73s (one was bolt ons + cam, the other was just bolt ons) and I can say that both were a blast to drive. This isn't as relevant because of the different drivetrain but I had 3.73s in my LS1 fbody years ago and loved them too.

My fox has the stock 2.73s and I spend way too much time thinking of getting 3.73s.....eventually. :)

When I was looking for a Fox, I drove two with 3.73s (one was bolt ons + cam, the other was just bolt ons) and I can say that both were a blast to drive. This isn't as relevant because of the different drivetrain but I had 3.73s in my LS1 fbody years ago and loved them too.

My fox has the stock 2.73s and I spend way too much time thinking of getting 3.73s.....eventually. :)

I've done 98,000 miles on mine with the 2.73, and it's served well. I had a tune done on it Monday, and the last pull went to 5,000 RPM in 5th, and the dyno showed 149 MPH! But I want to make the change to improve drivability.

3.73:1 is my favorite gear ratio. Cruising at 72mph in my 89 I got 26mpg. It was a blast to drive with z spec transmission and 26 inch tires. 3.55:1 are decent and will help with that 5th gear reach for another gear....that doesn't exist.

3.73:1 is my favorite gear ratio. Cruising at 72mph in my 89 I got 26mpg. It was a blast to drive with z spec transmission and 26 inch tires. 3.55:1 are decent and will help with that 5th gear reach for another gear....that doesn't exist.

Most 6 speeds are on the market are BS. It's actually 5 speeds with a spare 5th gear. The change in ratio between 5th and 6th is barely noticeable.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Most 6 speeds are on the market are BS. It's actually 5 speeds with a spare 5th gear. The change in ratio between 5th and 6th is barely noticeable.

Kurt

True...very true. I was talking about when you have 3.73:1 gears and trying to cruise. The rpms are so high that it makes you want another gear to bring the rpms down. Most configurations of 6 speeds are just BS. The magnum t56 6th gear is .50...the cobra z spec is .62. I'd say that's an improvement....small but improved. That's almost the difference between the 3.55 and a 3.73.

True...very true. I was talking about when you have 3.73:1 gears and trying to cruise. The rpms are so high that it makes you want another gear to bring the rpms down. Most configurations of 6 speeds are just BS. The magnum t56 6th gear is .50...the cobra z spec is .62. I'd say that's an improvement....small but improved. That's almost the difference between the 3.55 and a 3.73.

It's more about the exhaust and the tune than the actual drive ratio. My Focus has a 4.08 FDR I believe, but it's not bothersome at all to cruise at 80mph.

Kurt

Mine has 3.90's and it seems to be a nice compromise between acceleration / highway revs. A bit high, but tolerable.

Just curious why this isn't a popular choice??

Not sure. I haven't even heard of a 3.90 gear in at least a decade. Seems everyone goes straight from 3.73s straight to 4.10s. It might have to do with the availability of speedometer driven gears.

Kurt