need help with decision . custom eaton,boost bros or evo

. i didnt mean evo i ment on3.

well i decided to go a diff route with my combo.and i am doing 1 of these 3. the eaton blower sounds like a really cool and neat thing. both the boost bros and on3 turbo kits have gotten easier to install without modding to much. the eaton looks like its a fairly easy install as well. i think the turbo kit can grow more with me . all in all i think the eaton is the easier to install and cheaper and the cool factor is really awsome but i would need a cowl hood witch i have but it needs painting before i put it on,with the turbo i can wait on getting hood painted. any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Back in the day I had this same decision. I did my research and decided a Vortech blower would be the easiest route. Then I found a deal on a turbo kit, purchased it, brought it home and was overwhelmed by all the custom fab that I needed to do (I don't weld). Plus I would lose A/C and most recommended ditching power steering. Well after much debate with myself I sold the turbo kit and bought a Vortech. Was very happy with the purchase and didn't require fabrication, changing hoods, nada. Best part of all I reversed engineered it and found away to install it easily. I installed on a work bench then just carried over to the car and bolted it on (5 bolts, see pic below).

Now days you can find complete turbo kits that require no fabrication. If you can get a deal on one of these then go for it. Back in the day there weren't choices. The Eaton choice will be Kenne Bell which has up but left the push rod market. There might be some used floating around or try calling them

Vortech assembly on work bench.
VortechBench.jpg

Attachments

• VortechBench.jpg
    VortechBench.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 124
i wouldnt be doing. k/b. its a eaton custom fabbed to fit on my gt40 lower. i just sold my vortech it wasnt complete and it was a sq so it wasnt going to be fun. my goals are a fully streetable car without missing any of the creature comforts . getting rid of power steering and a/c is not an option. now the eaton swap is pretty much a 1 day bolt on kit. and the bb and on3 kits say there isnt any fab needed but i dont know if i believe that not to mention i forgot the exhaust work that will be needed with the turbo

the nice thing about the positive displacement blowers (eaton) is the way the boost is there pretty much immediately. the bad thing is that they tend to run out of steam at the higher RPMs. how much fabbing would you need to do to get one on your lower?

is this a daily driver? mostly stoplight to stoplight?

Are you talking about the jerry rigged eaton setup? Because I don't think that even remotely fits his goals. You can get a direct bolt on Kenne Bell kit that is designed to fit if you want a positive displacement blower.

Kurt

Yeah, but that setup has it all crudely running off the stock serpentine belt, which is not going to be reliable whatsoever. Don't you have to swap to fox accessories for that setup also? It's got to be a damn tall hood too. I would say at least 5".

Kurt

post a link to the eaton setup kit please.

and what do you mean a vortech SQ wouldn't have been fun? it's just a s-trim that has a different impeller to make it less loud. boost difference are almost negligible.

Yeah, can someone post the link again. You need a 2" cowl just to clear foxbody accesories. I swear I remember seeing a video of this before, and the snout is so unsupported that it was bouncing around on the motor. The routing also has the single serpentine belt having very little contact with any of the pulleys. It's pretty much guaranteed to slip all the time.

Kurt