Need help with fog lamps always blowing the fuses!!

Mike86Stang

Advanced Member
Apr 11, 2000
Red Lion, PA
Well I skipped my "regular" installation & decided to wire it up with a relay like it should be, well now it blows fuses as soon as I turn them on.

These are aftermarket fog lamps using H3 bulbs.
The relay & the fog lamps are using a common ground.(chassis)
The fog lamps are pulling power straight from the battery,
The relay is ran to a switch in the interior from a switched power
source.

I know that the fog lamps are pulling to much amperage (tried 15 amp & a 20 amp)& blowing the fuses but what I can figure out is why..

What are some reasons there would be too much amperage draw from the fog lamps?

help!

mike

• Sponsors (?)

You have some bad wiring somewhere. Look closley at the wires where they exit the foglight housing. disconnect 1 foglight at a time & try a fresh fuse. Power it up & if it blows, disconnect it & try the other foglight. If it still blows the fuse, the problem is in the wiring harness.

When I did mine, I ran all new 12 gauge wiring & crimp on terminals for the foglights, power to the relay & grounds. I used the stock wiring to control the relay. Nice and bright, no worries about too much load for the stock wiring.

MSTANG said:
Thanks jrichker I'll give that a shot & post back in the afternoon tomorrow.

Right now only 1 fog lamp is working any way (assuming I need a new bulb) ... :(
has the one light been burned out for awhile? if so, i bet Joe is right on about the short idea and his idea to disconnect them one at a time (burned out one first :) ) is a great idea. i bet you find that the burned out one is the source of the short.

good luck. :)