Need help with subframe connectors fitment issues.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Facts: 88 Coupe, T5, 5.0, originally a 2.3.
Steeda full length weld-in subframe connectors.
Car sitting on drive-on lift.

I was trying to install my subframe connectors on my 88 coupe tonight and ran into an issue where the rear of the subframes wouldn't line up. There was a gap about 1.5" to 2" on the rear subframe. You can see my horribly drawn version of what I saw.

The front would sit perfect, but there was a huge gap on the rear. I first thought that maybe it was a year issue, the subframe connectors were ordered by a friend with a 98 Mustang, so I was thinking that maybe the two were different. But according to Steeda, they are the same subframe connectors. However, other catalogs (such as MM) shows different connectors for 79-93 and 94-04.

Both connectors were doing the same thing on both sides of the car, even when trying the LH connector on the RH side of the car and vise versa. Same issue.

I layed down under 98 Mustang and tried to see how they would line up, and it seemed to have the same issue. But when I held them under an 01 that already had the same subframe connectors installed, they seemed to line up perfectly.

I don't know if I have a car issue, or a subframe connector issue. I know the car has been hit in the past, but the body all lines up, and there are no glaring problems with the under carriage. Plus I don't know how any damage would cause this problem. Them not lining up in a linear way, I could see as damage...but a vertical issue doesn't make sense.

My basic questions are:

Are subframe connectors the same from 88 through 98?
Could there be a damage issue with the car itself?
Could there be an issue with the subframes themselvs?
Is there a "fix" for issues like this?
Go with different subframes?

I am not sure where to go from here, but I hoped someone either had a simular experience or had some ideas.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sub.JPG
    sub.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 199
  • Sponsors (?)

they are not perfect out of the box. you need to get one end bolted/welded and then put a jack under the other end with a piece of wood to make it sit flush. it doesnt take much at all. with a minimal pressure from the jack attach the front. it has worked for me many times.

I thought about that, just using a screw jack and lower the car to put the subframe in place...but I was afraid of what that would do. Plus the guys at work all said they should line right up....and they have installed many sets of subframes.

Fett said:
I thought about that, just using a screw jack and lower the car to put the subframe in place...but I was afraid of what that would do. Plus the guys at work all said they should line right up....and they have installed many sets of subframes.
i have done many. some line right up and some dont. the last set i used a screw jack to tighten the connector to the subframe. there is hardly any pressure needed.

troyGT03 said:
i have done many. some line right up and some dont. the last set i used a screw jack to tighten the connector to the subframe. there is hardly any pressure needed.

Not to keep questioning this theory, but using a screw jack will work even with such thick/heavy gauge connectors like the Steeda full length?

Obviously my biggest concern is using a screw jack to force the subframe connector to line up, only to weld it in and have the connector "pull" the subframes out of alignment. If the subframe connectors are "true", then I would guess that forcing them to line up could possibly fix any misalignment that the subframes have now....but that is assuming the subframes are "true". If they are not, then could this cause me to create more problems?

Again, I don't mean to keep questioning this or sounding skeptical, I just don't want to cause any problems by twisting the frames out of alignment.