need legal advice.

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
well i had 2 previous tickets for speeding and running a stop light thats right in front of my house that only directs traffic from one end of the bridge to the other.
I bought a 2.3l stang from a friend for 175 and i was told by the bank and this one cop to have a written bill of sale with both of our signatures taped up in the window. my insurance also told me to do that to and to take my mothers insurance card (she has 2) and place it in the car to show that we got insurance. well i got pulled over tonight and the cop said the written bill of sale was baloni and to put tags off another vehicle on to mine. he says thats perfectly legal (the cop that i talked to said that was illegal). he also says the insurance company is wrong and he wrote me a ticket for no proof of insurance when i had that one insurance card of my mothers. one BIG plus about that is since im on probation my probation officer said if i get pulled over ONE more time i get my license taken away for 6 MONTHS.

how am i going to get to work tomorrow becuase i dont want to put tags off my mustang in fear of getting pulled over with wrong tags and get in more deep shinikes. also once i call my probation officer hes gonna get mad and probally take away my license right over the phone. so if anybody on here know any ways of getting to work? without asking friends (cause they are all dumb stoners. thats why i dont hang with them). there isnt any bus system out here, and a taxi would cost hella lot of money.

sorry for the long post. but i need some advice. probally some of you people would critize me for getting those previous tickets.

• Sponsors (?)

To be honest Charles. The best thing you can do for long term is contact your lawyer, or a lawyer and let them know what is going on. Getting professional legal advice is always better than asking us. I don't get in trouble anymore :nice:

Short term, If I was 18 all over again. I'd just drive it the way it is and say screw it. If ya get pulled over again. Well thats kind of bad. But there isn't much you can do when you get conflicting stories from the Police.

I'm with Stevens - get legal advice from a lawyer, not from us. If you're truly covered under your mom's insurance policy, her/your insurance company will fax you a 'proof of insurance' card that has your name/car on it. And you should take the car ASAP to the proper licensing office and get tags for it. No way around that. Forget about swapping tags off another car. If I'm not mistaken, that's what theives do when they steal one - not sure what the cop was smokin' that told you that, but it was probably an illegal substance. :) If you're on probation - work with your lawyer and your probation officer.

Maybe the bill of sale thing would have worked for the ride home if a cop was feeling generous, but you need to have at least a temp tag on it sounds like. Your insurance actually would be valid if you purchased the car to replace your other one -- but without showing any effort to replace it, that's up in the air too.

You need to go make it all legal, and be a little more careful who you take legal advice from. Live and learn...

thanks guys. i was just seeing if anyone has been down the same path as i or similar to it. i dont really have a lawyer. the only lawyer i do know (who did my mothers bankrupcy <probally spelled wrong) is the same lawyer who tried sueing me for $10,000 for this guy who came over to my house threating to kick my butt and i end up sending him to the hospital. so i dont know where to began looking for legal advice thats why i asked you guys. im only 18 ive been 18 for 6 months its not like i know everything or been there done that. im still learning the way of life. so i think it would be best to ask other older people who been there done that to see what they have to say.

thanks guys. i was just seeing if anyone has been down the same path as i or similar to it. i dont really have a lawyer. the only lawyer i do know (who did my mothers bankrupcy <probally spelled wrong) is the same lawyer who tried sueing me for $10,000 for this guy who came over to my house threating to kick my butt and i end up sending him to the hospital. so i dont know where to began looking for legal advice thats why i asked you guys. im only 18 ive been 18 for 6 months its not like i know everything or been there done that. im still learning the way of life. so i think it would be best to ask other older people who been there done that to see what they have to say.

I had a quite similar problem recently. I'm not sure about the laws in kansas, but here in Georgia, a bill of sale and insurance card is all you need to drive your car for the first 30 days within purchase. No temp tag's are required down here.