Need measurement between bolts for 65-66 dual exhaust hanger

tillerman85

Dec 3, 2004
Can anyone help me with the measurement between the bolts for the 65-66 dual exhaust hangers. And are they 5/16"?
I'm talking about the two bolts that poke through the floor, next to the rear seat belt bolts. I'm building my own brackets and the center to center distance would be a big help.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that this is probably going to be different on almost every car. I could be wrong though. Most I have seen have the hangers in multiple places. I would just put them where they need to be to fit and work well.

He's asking about the distance between the bolts, not the hangers. Measure your hangers. Or you could just buy the bracket, which has the bolts already welded in place.

And the hangers should be in a VERY specific place, not wherever they work. They work best when located where the factory punched the holes.

When you convert a 64-66 from single to dual, you need the extension adapter for the long brake line, the dual exhaust chassis bracket for the hose, the dual hose, the shorter hollow retaining bolt for the hose, and the axle lines to connect to the dual hose. If you leave the single hose in place, it will chafe on the LH tailpipe, which could kill you.

You can see the hanger brackets, hose bracket, and real sharp observers will spot the rebound pad for the 9".

JS4206.jpg

Thanks for the replies. You were correct that I just needed the measurement for the brackets. I already have the rear hose dialed in with all the necessary stuff too. I wanted to wrap up any welding work before I put down the sound deadener. I got the seatbelt plates welded in and don't want to wait for exhaust brackets to be shipped so I will make my own. When we painted the car I welded up a few holes under the car that I didn't realize that I would need. This car didn't come from the factory with dual exhaust and I didn't know that the holes were already there in the correct spot (thought a muffler guy slammed those in). I will find those welded up holes, and build some brackets with 5/16" bolts 1 5/8" on center and tac them in. Finally get to climb out from under the car. Wiring is after the sound deadener, then the engine!!!

Not sure how close to original you were looking for, but here is a pic of my old brackets. They actually have 3/8" studs and are held in place with a small screw. I'm sure 5/16 would be fine.

DSC00253.jpg

Not sure how close to original you were looking for, but here is a pic of my old brackets. They actually have 3/8" studs and are held in place with a small screw. I'm sure 5/16 would be fine.

DSC00253.jpg

As a side note, Ford also strengthened the floor pan with another formed layer of sheet metal where the above brackets get attached. The added sheet metal was installed on the inside of the car (vs the underside.)