Need new clutch opinions/experience please...

sinisterblack98

Sometimes I just lay on my garage floor and look u
Founding Member
Apr 11, 2000
Motor City, MI
I have traction now thanks to the 315/35 Nitto meats but I got the first signs of my clutch slipping yesterday.

So far my choices have been narrowed down to the Ford King Cobra setup (10.5" or 11" upgrade?) or a Centerforce Dual-Friction. Opinions on these or others? I'm not even considering RAM clutches based on negative feedback I've read and heard.

The car will be blown next year but power will be kept to reasonable street levels with a goal of about 425-450 RWHP.

• Sponsors (?)

I roasted a Centerforce. Those are garbage. It's just a stock clutch with a slightly different disk. I am using a SPEC stage 3 right now. I have only broken a disk once. I think that SPEC is the best bang for the buck. Mcleod has a really good clutch too, but it has a lower torque rating than the SPEC 3.

Kurt

revhead347 said:
I roasted a Centerforce. Those are garbage. It's just a stock clutch with a slightly different disk. I am using a SPEC stage 3 right now. I have only broken a disk once. I think that SPEC is the best bang for the buck. Mcleod has a really good clutch too, but it has a lower torque rating than the SPEC 3.

Kurt

I'll look at the SPEC clutches. Which Centerforce model did you have? The I and II are a somewhat of an improvement over stock, the Dual Friction is supposed to be pretty tough.

If you aren't doing any racing with slicks, and you don't want to go as hardcore as a SPEC clutch, I would go with a King Cobra Heavy Duty. I had one in my old car, and they are really nice.

Kurt

Yeah, the SPEC website sells their product well. I like the fact that they list them by power and usage levels. I tried to get the same info from Centerforce, they made a recommendation but didn't give details.

I have a Centerforce II in my Jeep Wrangler and love it, very smooth engagement and definitely holds up to trailering loads.

Anybody else vote for SPEC or others?

sinisterblack98 said:
Yeah, the SPEC website sells their product well. I like the fact that they list them by power and usage levels. I tried to get the same info from Centerforce, they made a recommendation but didn't give details.

I have a Centerforce II in my Jeep Wrangler and love it, very smooth engagement and definitely holds up to trailering loads.

Anybody else vote for SPEC or others?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention when I took your car for a ride the other day that I was trying to roast that clutch outta there.
:rlaugh: j/k

Trick95 said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention when I took your car for a ride the other day that I was trying to roast that clutch outta there.
:rlaugh: j/k

Yeah, I thought it smelled funny when you got back. At least that ride motivated you to work on your car!

Cobra envy is tough, huh?

I love my Billet Aluminum Flywheel, McLeod dual friction clutch w/ King Cobra pressure plate and Firewall Clutch Adjuster! It is very streetable and can hold up at the track.

sinisterblack98 said:
I have traction now thanks to the 315/35 Nitto meats but I got the first signs of my clutch slipping yesterday.

So far my choices have been narrowed down to the Ford King Cobra setup (10.5" or 11" upgrade?) or a Centerforce Dual-Friction. Opinions on these or others? I'm not even considering RAM clutches based on negative feedback I've read and heard.

The car will be blown next year but power will be kept to reasonable street levels with a goal of about 425-450 RWHP.

djtech said:
I love my Billet Aluminum Flywheel, McLeod dual friction clutch w/ King Cobra pressure plate and Firewall Clutch Adjuster! It is very streetable and can hold up at the track.

That was going to be my next question...

How do you like the aluminum flywheel? Noticeable acceleration improvment or revving faster? Ever notice downsides on the street?

I was considering doing one at the same time as the clutch.

sinisterblack98 said:
That was going to be my next question...

How do you like the aluminum flywheel? Noticeable acceleration improvment or revving faster? Ever notice downsides on the street?

I was considering doing one at the same time as the clutch.

My T-56 install was done at D&D performance in Wixom, MI. I believe they purchased the pressure plate from Ford Racing but am unsure.

The car is completely different since this install was done. The clutch absolutely rocks. It took me a week or so to get used to how the new setup engages and how incredibly quick the motor revs.

Small plug: Don Walsh & Team at D&D did an excellent job on my install. I was the first 99 Cobra to get an 03 Cobra T-56 and it took them extra time to complete the job but only charge me normal labor.

I was sold on the aluminum flywheel after reading MM&FF drag comparison of light vs heavy flywheels. D&D told me that I would probably miss the stock flywheel in a street car and said they wouldn't recommend it. I told them, put it on anyway :)

The only downside that came with the T-56 install was the first gear is too steep for the stock 3.27 rear ratio. 1st gear now goes to 60MPH and taking off fast is next to impossible. The upside is much less wheel hop but I haven't hammered it from a standstill as many times as I did with the old configuration.

I have a 3 stage take off now. Get the car moving with a tiny bit of engadement (low RPM) and then increase RPM with a little more engagement and again more RPM + more engagement. It takes a lot of getting used to but when I change my gear ratio it will be back to a normal takeoff.

All in all if I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe 4.56's with the better .50 6th gear). I think the light flywheel is awesome. I mean at a 5,000 RPM take off who needs extra rotating mass (flywheel) to get our cars moving?

If you have the 03 Cobra T56, then your 6th gear is a .63...unless you had them put in the Viper .50 6th gear. First gear is a 2.66...which is a DOG if you are stilll running the 3.27's out back. I have 4.30's....4.56 wouldn't have been unreasonable either I think.

I need a new clutch...but there's so many opinions out there I'm at a loss. I don't want a lot of chatter, but it has to be able to hold up to 550RWHP or so too.

Keep the suggestions coming.... :nice:

I had a king cobra clutch in my 99 GT... it definately took the abuse, 32 time slips at the local 1/8 strip... but... I have to say I didn't like it as a daily driver any more... too hard to press in stop and go driving... miles of it daily - to and from work... it just sucked... now, on weekends streeting around town it was nice - it didn't slip... but that was only 260hp at the flywheel...

99SVTAddict said:
If you have the 03 Cobra T56, then your 6th gear is a .63...unless you had them put in the Viper .50 6th gear. First gear is a 2.66...which is a DOG if you are stilll running the 3.27's out back. I have 4.30's....4.56 wouldn't have been unreasonable either I think.

I need a new clutch...but there's so many opinions out there I'm at a loss. I don't want a lot of chatter, but it has to be able to hold up to 550RWHP or so too.

Keep the suggestions coming.... :nice:

If your talking to me, yes I got an 03 Cobra trans and yes it has the stock .63. This is why I haven't gone 4.56's yet....

You can't go wrong with the setup I've got if you ask me. The guys that did the install know more about it but I know they said it could handle a lot more power than I currently have.

hmmm, I was really leaning towards the Centerforce myself. Though I decided to hold off on the aluminum flywheel. So when I add the Spec III to the shopping cart on the above website, it says "kevlar, carbon, or ceramic"????
which one?

Which one would depend on application. What kind of setup do you want? I know kevlar is very grabby but can handle a lot of power. Just do some searching around for the advantages/disadvantages of each and choose what fits best for you. Mine is dual friction which means it has two types of materials. I believe the one with less "co-efficent" (I know I spelt/used the wrong word there) of friction grabs first so partial engagement isn't so grabby. As it engages more it meets the next material which has a higher coefficent and engages solid.

That's how I remember it anyway.

I had a king cobra clutch in my 99 GT... it definately took the abuse, 32 time slips at the local 1/8 strip... but... I have to say I didn't like it as a daily driver any more... too hard to press in stop and go driving... miles of it daily - to and from work... it just sucked... now, on weekends streeting around town it was nice - it didn't slip... but that was only 260hp at the flywheel...

How did the King Cobra setup's pedal effort compare to your stock 03 Cobra one? I'll tell ya my McLeod disk & King Cobra plate combination has less pedal effort than my stock setup did. I do have an aftermarket firewall clutch adjuster now as well though.