Need Opinions on Trick Flow Street Heat Intake

foxbodyrules

Sep 17, 2004
I'm seriously thinking about getting the trick flow intake. I just wanted to get some opinions on it. Don't have enough money for cam and heads right now, so i'm gonna get an intake first. I've heard good thing about trick flow, but anyone use this specific intake and really like it? My car is a daily driver. From here i'd probably get the TFS Stage 1 cam. I don't know if i'll ever upgrade to heads, but right now i just need some opinions on the intake. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i used the trackheat intake, a little bigger than the street heat and i loved it, i started out on a complete stock 5.0 with just the intake, and its sno-balled since, anyways, i was really impressed with the product and would not hesitate to buy another one. i really love the trickflow products. the only thing is that if your car has the distributer cover, it will not fit when the intake is in place, not enough clearance, also tightening the rear nut against the firewall is a pain. worth the agrevation. it also whistled at idle just fyi.

Im running the track heat as well,I like it and mine use to whistle at idle but it just quit for some reason.I also have the tftw heads and an F cam and it pulls pretty good all the way up to 6500 rpms

I have the Street Heat, with gaskets it was like 423 bucks from summit, so it is a cheap intake. And it really works great, nice power from idle on. I really recommend it for your setup, also the tech support is really good. I recommend it!! Good Luck

ive got the street heat manifold and i like it. its kind of a pain in the ass to install cause the instructions suck and you need a lot of extra parts but the car seems to run pretty good and i think it helped the horsepower a good amount too.

I would not recommend that intake...The TrickFlow lower intake is really good but the upper is just ok...on stock heads and cam you will lose low end TQ big time...You would be better off getting an Edelbrock Performer or a GT-40 style intake such as the Cobra or the Explorer...Eventhough the TW intake says idle to 5500, the power does not come in til later in the RPMs...Besides...swaping intakes on a near stock motor is pointless...The closes ones that will do anything are the GT-40 style intakes...other than that you are paying $400+ for 10HP-15HP...is that really worth it?

I just installed mine over the weekend. If you a prepared and read the instructions throughly you won't have any problems. As far as needing extra parts...the only ones you need are water neck gasket, valve cover gaskets. You need to remove the distributor and disconnect the fuel rails, but both are fairly easy to do.
I noticed a small loss of low end torque but not too major. The power kicks in way before 5500rpm. So far, I'm very happy with it.

I have a Street Heat on my 89 and am satisfied with it. The install was a bit aggrevating at times but worth it in the long run. My motor is not stock but intake seems to flow more than enough air. To do it again would probably go with Track heat though.
Good luck

Highbredcloud said:
I would not recommend that intake...The TrickFlow lower intake is really good but the upper is just ok...on stock heads and cam you will lose low end TQ big time...You would be better off getting an Edelbrock Performer or a GT-40 style intake such as the Cobra or the Explorer...Eventhough the TW intake says idle to 5500, the power does not come in til later in the RPMs...Besides...swaping intakes on a near stock motor is pointless...The closes ones that will do anything are the GT-40 style intakes...other than that you are paying $400+ for 10HP-15HP...is that really worth it?

So I would be better off going with the gt-40 intake then?

On a stock motor you're pretty much wasting your time and money. It would benefit you if you had more airflow going to the motor or force induction but on your stock setup you will lose torque. I'd rather go with the GT40 or TFS which have longer runners and would help you gain low end torque.

Ever think of one of Tmoss's lowers?? 100.00 your done....You wont lose the low end either.....Just a thought...I had one and really liked it....
All stock like that and adding that upper your gonna notice the low end missing right off....Plus his lower add an nice hit up top, she wont get winded at 4k anymore...
With similar mods to you, stock heads/cam..i dyno'd at 233RWHP with that lower...not to shabby...i was a hoot to drive....h/c/i move the powerband up higher....but its tough hanging on to the low end hit when you add that stuff...just food for thought if h/c aren't in the near future...

RIO5.0 said:
Ever think of one of Tmoss's lowers?? 100.00 your done....You wont lose the low end either.....Just a thought...I had one and really liked it....
All stock like that and adding that upper your gonna notice the low end missing right off....Plus his lower add an nice hit up top, she wont get winded at 4k anymore...
With similar mods to you, stock heads/cam..i dyno'd at 233RWHP with that lower...not to shabby...i was a hoot to drive....h/c/i move the powerband up higher....but its tough hanging on to the low end hit when you add that stuff...just food for thought if h/c aren't in the near future...

Is that where you send your intake to him or does he make them and ship them for $100? I think i would rather go the gt-40 route if i have to ship my intake out cause then i wouldn't be able to drive my car for a while. Thanks for the idea. Now if i were to go gt-40 i would get the whole intake, and not just the lower right? Or should i just get the lower? Thanks. Definitely don't want to lose low-end torque. :)

Oh yea.. just one more question.. is there a difference between the cobra intake and the gt-40 intake? I saw a thread just now saying something like "too bad summit stopped selling the cobra intake, now they only sell the gt-40"

i think all of the whistling issues would have to be the throttle body. or pcv valve got loose, or vacuum leak. or something...

ive never seen just an intake manifold whistle

an intake install isnt worth it?

so a few hours out of your day isnt worth 15-20 RWHP? come on guys its not that hard to install an intake on our cars... its not marginal gains, atleast with the edelbrock and GT40 style intakes it isn't its a bit more then 5rwhp or so installing a new intake...

I've seen 31rwhp with a 65mm throttlebody and a cobra intake on a Full exhaust car...

gotta lose some low end if you want a performance car.. if you go the H/C/I you'll lose plenty of it...

If you go GT40, yes, you need top and bottom....your stock lower is only good for the stock upper...The GT40 has different port...
Send Tmoss a PM..he usually has stock lower all ready to go...just send your back...

I felt a big difference in the swap, low end, but up top mostly...pulled all the way to redline no problem....as mentioned, whats an a/noon to swap it out...I did the LTs/Prochmbr, FMS65, u/drives and Toms lower...195RW stock to 233RW afterwards was noticable to me...
Like I say, its an option...with what your already running for mods, youll be surprised what that ported lower adds...As usual it a money thing...A TF is nothing to sneeze at and a nice pc to boot...

I recently swapped one of Toms lowers for this 93 Cobra he did for me as I did the Fox swap to....I gained 12 hp from the his stock ported lower to his Cobra...That says something to me about the stock ported lower...it does work...
new_cobra_cai.jpg

I second the idea about getting a Tmoss lower...Tom also did a lower Cobra for me and the itake looks sweet...a GT-40 intake in particular is an expensive piece...so again is it worth $600.00 to pick up 10-15HP? You will see the same 10-15HP to the wheels with Tom's ported lower...for $110.00...It probably the best bang out for your buck performance part you can have...and Yes a Cobra or an Explorer intake use the same lower as the GT-40...hence are frequently referred to as GT-40 family or style type intakes...Until you swap heads...I don't see the necessity to get an intake besides a ported stock lower...however, if you must get an intake consider the GT-40 style intakes...