Need Rear End Advice!!!

Does anyone have any advice they can give me about removing my rear end? It is a 67 mustang with an original 6-cylinder rear end. I seem to be having a difficult time unbolting the rearend from the leaf springs. I do not know if it is just rusted nuts, or if I have not lifted the rear end enough to easy the pressure on the leaf springs. How do I know if it is lifted enough? I already have the rear on jack stands, slightly off the ground. I lifted the rear end just a few inches. For the life of me, I cannot loosed a single nut from the u-bolts. I have considered taking it somewhere to be done, but I feel as if I have been defeated!!! Any ideas? :shrug: A special note to Edbert for selling me his brakes. He saved my hide. YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Since you're junking the 7-inch rear (best thing to do) it is easiest to remove the rear u-joint then both ends of both leafs while leaving the axle still attached (as has been suggested).

BUT...you knew that was coming right...leafs that have been on there for almost 39 years may not want to come off and you could probably use the wiggle-space that disconnecting the axle will provide.

Put the entire car on jack stands, 4 are better than two to stabilize the thing. Spray some penetrating oil on all 8 u-bolts, both eyes, and all four shackles. Do this every evening for a week and next weekend begin by undoing the u-bolts. Once the four u-bolts are loose then the u-joint and you can get at the prings better. Be careful working under the car while it is on stands, and be careful when the axles comes loose, the 7-inch rear may be wimpy but it's still a heavy beyatch to be dropping on yourself.

Oh yeah, glad you got your parts, and glad to be able to make you a good deal on some 9-inch parts while also helping to clean out my garage :flag: