need recommendation on O/R H or X pipe

went to the strip today and somehow managed to rip off the exhaust hanger for the trans mount. As the exhaust hanger came off it took the section of pipe with it, so now i have a 1 1/2" x 1/4" hole in the pipe were the weld was. It's currently a O/R H pipe. I guess it's for shorty headers cause the pipes under the car make the bend upwards to meet the headers (not sure what the correct terminology is). I'm not running any smog stuff. So what's better H or X? possibly pro chamber? and where's the best place to get it from? I leave for deployment in a couple days so if I can't get it quickly I may just have to have it patched so my wife can drive it while I'm gone.

TIA, Dan

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion you can't do better (H or X) than a Dr. Gas X pipe. The down side is that it comes in like 7 pieces and has to be welded together, but with that you get perfect fit because you're the one putting it together.

I should probably add that the Dr. Gas X that i have was bought when they first hit the market. At the time NOBODY made X pipes for Mustangs, so this thing was in the $300 range and came in 9 pieces (now that i think about it...the X center piece and 2 pieces on each corner). However, since it's stainless steel it still looks like new today except for the rusted welds. I don't know if their X's still come in so many pieces today so maybe someone else can chime in. I didn't buy this one new, my buddy did and i got it on a trade from him.

I have used MAC's X pipes, and aside from their aluminized coating not lasting very long, they're good pieces for the price. I personally can't stand any of the "X pipes" that aren't a true siamese-pipe X design....and here's an example of what i'm talking about:

This is an X:
7904MustangMacBBKLongTubeXC.jpg

See how there's two ~90 degree bends that siamese together? That's a true X pipe.

This:
1661.jpg

Is NOT an X pipe IMO...that's something completely different. It may flow and work fine, but as far as sound goes it's just not the same. That's a BBK by the way, but they do make a much better version:

1770.jpg

Some may disagree, and that's fine, this is all just me going by experience :nice:

right now I kinda new something that is good but easily installed. I have MAC headers. Does brand matter on these exhausts or are they pretty much universal?

universal. i have a mac h (catted) on my gt, and my old lx had a noncatted mac h on it when i bought it. good prices on both, and theyre very easy to install and make fit since theyre in three bolt together pieces. ive had the on my gt for about 2.5 years now and no rusting (though the black paint coating is flaking off).

im with what turkey said, i have a pacesetter o/r x and love it, it took all of 15 minutes to drop my old o/r h, and put this one on. granted i had access to a lift and air tools, there was no fitment issues at all. i have received numerous compliments on how the car sounds with the x over the h

thanks for all the input!

yesterday I removed the H pipe and took it to the shop to have the hole welded. They did a pretty good job with it, but... Today the wife took off work so we went to check out CJ Pony Parts. Pretty cool shop... I ended up buying a BBK O/R X pipe, like pictured above. I think after all the posts about the X pipes, I knew I wanted one! Maybe not a true X but moreso than the crappy H that I had. Got it installed and the sound is definately different. Sounds more aggressive but with a coffee can sounds occasionally. Think I need to work some fitment issues though. It seems to be hanging pretty low in the middle. I rubbed a high spot fill around a manhole cover while driving down the street :shrug:

Think I need to work some fitment issues though. It seems to be hanging pretty low in the middle. I rubbed a high spot fill around a manhole cover while driving down the street :shrug:

doesnt suprise me, i swapped out the old lx's mac h for a bbk catted h to pass emissions, not only was it low but it pulled the driverside tailpipe into the rear tire. adjusted the damn pipes like every week to get it to stop rubbing and it would still just scoot back. rather annoying to have the burning rubber smell while not burning rubber:notnice: