Need some about the Rear End...

281CI96Coupe

Oct 30, 2006
Need some tech help guys. I just ordered 3.73's + Master bearing kit for my Auto, yes I do alot of highway driving. I was just wondering what type of gear oil should I use? I was thinking of Amsoil Severe duty...what weight do I need? Also last and final chance Dallas Mustang speedcal or a Speedo gear? I made a thread before but I can't make up my mind ahhhhh....

Side note - When I get these gears in? do I need a tune? and would cruising be annoying....

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Need some tech help guys. I just ordered 3.73's + Master bearing kit for my Auto, yes I do alot of highway driving. I was just wondering what type of gear oil should I use? I was thinking of Amsoil Severe duty...what weight do I need? Also last and final chance Dallas Mustang speedcal or a Speedo gear? I made a thread before but I can't make up my mind ahhhhh....

Side note - When I get these gears in? do I need a tune? and would cruising be annoying....

Thanks guys

negative ghost rider...Royal Purple 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil will be perfect. no you don't need a tune, but you will need either a hand held tuner to compensate for your speedo or a dallas mustangs speed calibrator. a speedo gear won't work on the 99-04's...they are electronically controlled.

both are available at AmericanMuscle.com

do some re-search RP FTMFL. cobrared can tell you a few bad things about them.

get a handheld tuner or tuning software like sniper special forces thats what i have and love it. willie at dirtydirtyracing.com will hook you up with a free custom tune i believe if you buy the software from him.

Thanks guys

for the speedo just get I believe a 23 tooth speedo gear , the 98 and older ones require a speedcal or gear to fix the speedo , speedo gear is alot cheaper , 23 tooth jeep gear is about 9 bucks and most dodge dealers , google mustang and jeep speedo gear and you should be able to find the part number for it , its on several websites ......

negative ghost rider...Royal Purple 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil will be perfect. no you don't need a tune, but you will need either a hand held tuner to compensate for your speedo or a dallas mustangs speed calibrator. a speedo gear won't work on the 99-04's...they are electronically controlled.

both are available at AmericanMuscle.com
Firstly his car isn't a 99-04 so he cant use a tuner, secondly I'd like to hear why you suggest Royal Purple - as I'm not going to get into a discussion again, but would like to hear why people pass along this advice.

Firstly his car isn't a 99-04 so he cant use a tuner, secondly I'd like to hear why you suggest Royal Purple - as I'm not going to get into a discussion again, but would like to hear why people pass along this advice.

Never had a problem with Royal Purple, used it on my 97 cobra, used it on my 02. it's good stuff. why go with something else when it works for ya?

didn't realize his car was a 96-98. $10 speedo gear will work just fine for him.

Yeah I'm sorry guys. I forgot to include that the car is 96 GT. Does the speedo gear neccessarily have to be a 23 tooth speedo gear, because I read a long time ago that you can use a 21 tooth purple gear. I dont remember who said it. Tough Decisions. $10 gear or $100 Speedcal.:shrug: