Need some advice on suspension plans

I am looking to go ahead and get some springs on the stang pretty soon. I have always loved the drop on the H&R's so that is what I am going with.

I see on stangsuspension, there are the super sports and the sport springs. The sport springs and the super sports both lower 1.6 in front and 1.5 in back. But the description with the super sports says "Aftermarket shocks and struts highly recommended with this application."

I don't understand how the have the same drop, but the super sports require aftermarket parts.

Would I be better off getting the regular sports? I don't plan on going to the track a whole lot, just looking to get rid of the 4x4 look.

• Sponsors (?)

JeremyGT said:
I am looking to go ahead and get some springs on the stang pretty soon. I have always loved the drop on the H&R's so that is what I am going with.

I see on stangsuspension, there are the super sports and the sport springs. The sport springs and the super sports both lower 1.6 in front and 1.5 in back. But the description with the super sports says "Aftermarket shocks and struts highly recommended with this application."

I don't understand how the have the same drop, but the super sports require aftermarket parts.

Would I be better off getting the regular sports? I don't plan on going to the track a whole lot, just looking to get rid of the 4x4 look.
Its because the spring rates are different. The supersports are stiffer. I'm getting their Super Race springs for the rear, and they really need HP shocks. If I were you I'd go with the H&R race if you want ideal handling, but if you like the even lower look, I guess go with those. Nonetheless, go with Bilstein dampers. I guess my second choice would be Tokico D-spec, but I love my bilsteins

wade

JeremyGT said:
So which springs should I go with if I am looking for a good daily driven ride? I will only see the track maybe 2 times a year, if that. But again, I don't want to have a rugged ride either.

Steeda Sport Springs, should give you a nice 1.3" drop. :nice:

JeremyGT said:
So which springs should I go with if I am looking for a good daily driven ride? I will only see the track maybe 2 times a year, if that. But again, I don't want to have a rugged ride either.
I'd do steeda competition or H&R race with bilstein dampers

wade

JeremyGT said:
I looked at the H&R race springs today on stangsuspension.

If my plan is to go with a KB later on, what would be the best suspension goodies I should get before the blower? I don't want to have to change out parts later on.
the blower will add a little weight in front, so yes, the higher spring rate in front from the Race springs would aid in keeping everything solid. with those springs of course, go with the bils

Azarello said:
Can you drop your car b4 you put a body kit on it, or it don't matter?
you should drop first.. kits look horrible with stock springs. My personal favorite trim is from the 03 cobra.. i don't think i'd put anything else on my car.. well, if i got a saleen or roush kit for free i wouldn't throw it away :p

For any spring setup, would you all suggest going with a set of c/c plates anyway? I am either going with the H&R SS, or the H&R race springs, and some shocks/struts all together. Just didn't know if I should throw on some c/c plates while at it.

JeremyGT said:

Actually it looks like they misprinted the information for the H&R Super Sports on stangsuspension's website. The Super Sports drop the car lower than the Sports, hence the reason they recommend aftermarket shocks and struts. The Super Sports lower the car 1.75 in front, and 1.6 in the rear. The description on the site even says, "When you want to get serious, H&R Sport Springs are the hot setup." So they got it wrong right off the bat, seeing as these are not the Sports but the Super Sports.

You can check it out for yourself at Tirerack.com's suspension section, they list all the drops for the springs you select. Tire Rack

They are also cheaper at the Tire Rack. I myself have a set of H&R Sports on my car with a set of Tokico HP Shocks and Struts and some Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates. I love the drop and ride quality all together. My car rides pretty much as it did stock, and doesn't feel like the quality declined in any way. The drop also looks great, with the front end raked. I also use my car for daily driving and not really racing at the strip. I have had no problems with my setup and would definitely recommend it. I live in Chicago, and have not had to worry about my car bottoming out or scraping the front end coming out or into parking lots. The drop is just right.

I seen you had pretty much decided to go with the Super Sports (SS) and just wanted to make sure you knew the drop was a little more extreme.

Hope that helped.

Also, heres a pic of my car to give you an idea of what the drop looks like. You can see how the front end drops lower than the rear. Also, this was taken a few days after the springs were installed, so they had not fully settled, the car now sits a little lower and looks great. (If you need any more pics just let me know):

photodisplay.php

wms004 said:
you should drop first.. kits look horrible with stock springs. My personal favorite trim is from the 03 cobra.. i don't think i'd put anything else on my car.. well, if i got a saleen or roush kit for free i wouldn't throw it away :p

Thanks, that helps alot! :hail2:

JeremyGT said:
Blinkstang: Do you happen to have a side view of your whole car? I thought the stangsuspension site was a little off somehow.

EDIT: I also have 18" wheels so I don't want any rubbing. I have 295's on the back and 265's on the front.

Hey, I also have 18" wheels, 265 up front and 285's in the rear, and have no rubbing what so ever. Your 295's shouldnt be a problem, I still have plenty of space for a bigger tire.

Heres a side view I found, also before the springs settled:

mustang0073sf.jpg

Blinkstang said:
Yeah the grille delete is on the way! I was going to get the chin spoiler, but Im actually ordering an 03' Cobra front bumper very soon, it looks so sexy!
does the 03 cobra bumper use the grille delete?.. might want to check on that.. good choice.. the 03 cobra trim is by far my favorite body.