Need some help bad.....please help me figure this out

stang2004

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2001
Northern Jersey
ok, at mid 96K miles i did an oil change and filter change (when i first got the car) oil was very very low (as shown on the dipstick) and the filter looked like it wasnt changed in a long time.

so i put in 5 quarts and a filter. the dipstick was reading well over the "full" mark, however i know that this is typical for the 5.0.... however i just got over 97K miles and my "check oil" lamp came on,,, a couple days ago when i checked the oil, it was at the bottom of the "full" line right before it says "add" and i thought "oh well maybe its off again" but today the check oil lamp came on and stayed lit...... i know it has a slight oil leak from the valve covers and the RMS, i dont have a huge oil spot where i park my car,,, just a general oil stain, nothing crazy abnormal.

what i want to know is WHERE THE **** did all that oil go? and how many qrts of oil do i have left when the lamp comes on?

oh it also ISNT burning oil, i had my bro stand behind me while i gave it a couple hearty revs, and he informed me it blew out no abnormal smoke,,,just a slight normal gray smoke.....

so wtf is the deal? around 1,000 miles and im down on oil bad

• Sponsors (?)

If your running high revs with cheap oil it will evaporate/burn off. My valve covers leak real bad and I'm sure the RMS isn't that hot as well but I don't go through that much oil. Park on some plywood or something really clean (where you park every night) to see if your leaking alot or just burning it off. What kind of oil are you using (brand and weight)?

I would run 10w-40 in the summer unless your running something like Redline or another high quality synthetic oil. I ran Castrol because I was told it was awesome....never again. Foamed up and burnt offcomplete garbage. I even tried it in several different vehicles including my motorcycle, Mustang, F-150. Made for high revving engines my ass. Havoline for petroleum or Redline for synthetic, other than that nothing. If it's leaving drip marks you have a pretty good leak going on. Like I said mine does leak pretty good as well but it's more like down 1 quart in 3,000 miles.

donkey_punch said:
if your drop a lot of gear while driving. thats were your losing your oil. you have some major blow by.
and i never heard of "just a slight normal grey smoke"
i don't think there's anything normal about that.

Technically white/grey smoke is moisture, black smoke is big time rich, and blue smoke is oil. So unless it's blue colored, I would have to say it's just normal moisture in the exhaust.

i wouldnt say i drop alot of gear at all... if im approaching a light, ill down shift,,, but i dont drop a gear and punch it if thats what ur saying. Im sure if u rev your car up there will be a slight amount of gray smoke,,,thats normal :shrug: blue smoke is oil, and white smoke is coolant :nice:

hot diggity dog i just snapped some photos under the car, and now i think i know where the leak is coming from... i looked under the car previously but there wasnt enought light to really see if there was oil leaking... take a look at these pics...

picture_010.jpg

picture_007.jpg

picture_009.jpg

picture_008.jpg

stang2004 said:
Castrol Syntec blend 10 w30

it doesnt leak really when its stopped and parked,,,, just a couple drips in the morning....

Thats part of your problem right there....Synthetics find leaks like a fat kid finds the ice cream machine at a buffet. Go with a heavier weight, conventional oil made for high mileage vehicles.

SCORPION said:
Thats part of your problem right there....Synthetics find leaks like a fat kid finds the ice cream machine at a buffet. Go with a heavier weight, conventional oil made for high mileage vehicles.

i dont want to use an oil that is too heavy a weight,,, im planning on switching back to conventional.... maybe that will help.

however castrol syntec blend is not a true Synthetic it is actually a "blend" of the two