Need some Mark VIII wiring help from you fan gurus

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
I've got my fan attached and am waiting for the dcc controller to arrive. Can anyone tell me how it attaches to the Mark VIII fan and specifically what each color wire (on the fan) is for?

It's three wires:
1. Black
2. Blue
3. Brown and orange

Thanks...... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I have a mark 8 fan... but currently am just running it on ignition.. using high speed... anyways... I think the brown and orange is high speed.. and blue is low speed.. if that's what your looking for.. .. but I can check for you tomorrow if ya want.. Please let me know how that control module works out for ya.. because I am considering getting one... oh and another couple things... how much clearance do you have between your waterpump pulley and the fan... I have about half an inch... engine rocks left to right... so I think I should be ok... and where did you put your temp sensor that probably came with the fan? I am assuming there will be a pretty decent instruction sheet with the new module.. probably will tell ya where to put the ground, high speed, and lowspeed... the controller will probably be wired to an ignition switch... 12+ ground aswell... and I'm sure there has gotta be some sort of temp sensor... I had a post awhile ago about where to start with with the high low temps.... cause you can adjust where you want them to start with your new control unit I think.. eg. low speed on at 160... high speed on 180... or whatever...

Looks nice. :nice:
I can't see very well but it looks like you might want to tie the fan motor harness away from the accessories.

EDIT: I'm sorry about the Srothfuss link. I had just looked it up about 10 minutes ago and it was indeed not as informative as I recalled (I acutally thought he had a separate thread about just the fan install). My bad.

Hey, I did recall Brian himself talkin about Lincoln fan wiring. Do Post 3 (JRichker) and the end of post 6 (Brian) help?

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=691539

Good luck.

Looks nice. :nice:
I can't see very well but it looks like you might want to tie the fan motor harness away from the accessories.

EDIT: I'm sorry about the Srothfuss link. I had just looked it up about 10 minutes ago and it was indeed not as informative as I recalled (I acutally thought he had a separate thread about just the fan install). My bad.

Hey, I did recall Brian himself talkin about Lincoln fan wiring. Do Post 3 (JRichker) and the end of post 6 (Brian) help?

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=691539

Good luck.

It's not real close, but it needs to be tied down anyway :D

Thanks for the link. Didn't clear up every question, but it did help. Still curioius about what color wire on the M8 harness does what.......Looks like black is ground, but not sure what the blue and brown/orange do.

If your control unit has an option for low and high I would use both... but don't have it come on low at startup because you don't want the fan running all the time... If you only have one speed option for your control unit definetely use the high speed.. If it is running all the time it may not ever reach proper operating temp.

Do you have a mechanical water temp gauge? Anyways you want you engine temp to be around 200 degrees.... water temp would be 10 degrees lower... so 190... I think 190 is a little below half way on the stock gauge...

So a good starting place would be have the fan turn on high when water temp hits 180 and low at maybe 160...

I think the lincoln mark 8 has the fan turn on low at startup and high at 160... so maybe that would be a better option... If your control unit is adjustable just play with the low high settings to get the temp you want..

I'm kinda just winging it on what temps so if someone has any input I would like to know too!

Anyone have any ideas about what high and low speed should be set at... I know the coolant doesn't get cycled until it hits whatever your thermostate is set for... you have a 192 stock thermostate or 180???

Engine will run a little richer with the cooler thermostate... but I have read that it doesn't give the rad and fan as much time to cool of the coolant because it will be cycling more often.. You have 2 or 3 row rad? So with a 180 thermostate you'll want the fan's high speed to turn on sooner!!

mine is running all the time right now on high speed.. and it is really loud.. I need a mechanical gauge though because the stock one sucks!! But my stock gauge looks good.... temp fluctuates too much though... gets to operating temp.. then will drop down all of a sudden.

One more thing.. I was told to put the temp sensor for the fan in the thermostat housing... (u can buy one with the opening for a sensor) that way if the thermostat gets stuck closed your temp gauge will still work... then replace the temp sensor for your original water temp sensor and use the spot where the original one was for a new mechanical gauge... and if you want your stock one to work too.. move it to a spot at the back of the water jacket.

u may want to get a overdrive pulley for that alternator!! I just ordered a ford one from summit racing for 18.95. Will help ya with charging problems you may have with those underdrive crank and waterpump pulleys.. and the electric fan. Especially if you have a decent stereo! The overdrive will likely be needed! Just a heads up!

pic

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 195
lol. thanks for all of the post.

The rad is a 2 row, the stat is 180. Also have mech H2O gauge. I've got a dcc unit coming so I would think only one wire would be needed for the speed of the fan. The unit controls the fan and spools it up based on temp and avoids spiking the system.

We'll see how it goes.....Thanks.

You will connect the DC control unit to the high speed terminal and the ground terminal. Use fused jumper wires (not the fan controller) to bench test your fan. You should find the outside terminals are high speed and ground. You will know if polarity is correct via which way the air is blowing through the fan (fan blade direction).

I ordered a DC controller for my Mark VIII also. Hissin is correct. (not that we didnt know that already) I bench tested mine when it arrived and it is to 2 outside terminals. I just dont remember which is which. My controller should be here in a week or so.
Subscribing.........

You will connect the DC control unit to the high speed terminal and the ground terminal. Use fused jumper wires (not the fan controller) to bench test your fan. You should find the outside terminals are high speed and ground. You will know if polarity is correct via which way the air is blowing through the fan (fan blade direction).

Okay, let me show off my electrically challenged side.....:nonono:

Jumper wire = regular wires w/ fused protection that I just hook to the battery to test.

Outside wires = outside 2 (of the 3) wires on the Mark VIII fan plug. It should be pulling air (therfore correct polarity) correct???

:D

Thanks Hiss........

Okay, let me show off my electrically challenged side.....:nonono:

Jumper wire = regular wires w/ fused protection that I just hook to the battery to test.

Outside wires = outside 2 (of the 3) wires on the Mark VIII fan plug. It should be pulling air (therfore correct polarity) correct???

:D

Thanks Hiss........

Me-thinks you got it. :nice:

I would use a 10 AWG (gauge) wire for your jumpers. If you have some inline fuses, install them (I'd venture to say you will need atleast a 30 amp fuse) as close to the battery as you can. Then connect the jumpers to the two outside fan motor terminals (the middle terminal will not be used for this exercise) and see if the fan is pulling air towards the fan motor (what you want) or if it is pushing air towards the 'front' of the fan (away from the fan motor - what you don't want). If it's 'what you dont want', reverse the fan leads.

A picture would make this real easy - Last week I was just bench testing a new dual fan set-up I got, and should have taken a picture of the bench test harness I keep around the shop for testing such stuff. :bang:

You have the idea down well though. Just be sure your connections are tight - a loose connection will blow a fuse real quick. And dont let the + and - jumpers touch inside the fan motor connector (I use aligator clips, and it can be dicey if you dont insulate the clips. They like to move around. Spade connectors would be better if they fit).
Now if you are blowing fuses when the fan starts up (Mark VIII fans have a huge start-up draw), you can either use a bigger fuse, or what I do in that case is power low speed and once it's spinning as fast as it can, I disable the jumper for low and power up high speed. This helps quell that huge start-up spike.

It takes less time to bench test the fan than it did to type this - it'll be real fast for ya.

Good luck.