Need suspension advice on 2004 GT

• Sponsors (?)

I am looking for any and all advice in regards to my ‘04 GT suspension. I am going to upgrade my suspension because my drivers side strut is going out and just want to do it all at once. I am trying to upgrade my suspension (I.e. less body roll, better handling) without sacrificing ride quality. Does anyone have any advice on parts I should look into? Any help is appreciated!!

Also wanting a lower ride height.

Once you know your budget(are you doing the work yourself?)I would search online for kits/parts that fit and the pros and cons to get a feel for it and then come back here with specific questions, there are a lot of great article out there on this very topic. Bumpsteer,CC Plates, coil over etc etc., a lot to learn but I love the learning part too. Many times your search will lead back to a Mustang Forum(even this one) etc that will widen your knowledge even better than just asking on a single forum. Not saying this is the case here,but many unanswered/little response threads are because the the other members expect you take a little initiative and check things out first. I have been told many times to try Google, and in not such a nice way on some other forums I have been on.
Yes a lower ride height would help handling and looks, but there are possible downsides.

Once you know your budget(are you doing the work yourself?)I would search online for kits/parts that fit and the pros and cons to get a feel for it and then come back here with specific questions, there are a lot of great article out there on this very topic. Bumpsteer,CC Plates, coil over etc etc., a lot to learn but I love the learning part too. Many times your search will lead back to a Mustang Forum(even this one) etc that will widen your knowledge even better than just asking on a single forum. Not saying this is the case here,but many unanswered/little response threads are because the the other members expect you take a little initiative and check things out first. I have been told many times to try Google, and in not such a nice way on some other forums I have been on.
Yes a lower ride height would help handling and looks, but there are possible downsides.
I suppose I should specify. The point behind the post is more so to hear from people who aren’t running stock suspension and to see what everyone recommends. I have spent many hours looking at parts but I don’t want to invest 1k + on suspension that ends up being horrible. I plan on doing the work myself. I came across a thread that recommended Bilstein today. Any thoughts? What brands have a good reputation in the mustang community?

I suppose I should specify. The point behind the post is more so to hear from people who aren’t running stock suspension and to see what everyone recommends. I have spent many hours looking at parts but I don’t want to invest 1k + on suspension that ends up being horrible. I plan on doing the work myself. I came across a thread that recommended Bilstein today. Any thoughts? What brands have a good reputation in the mustang community?
Also I am looking to potentially do a coilover kit.

Bilstein is great. However, they were getting hard to come by when I was looking for them last year. But great shocks and struts. They are compatible with many coil over kits but can work with coil springs just as well.

Can't tell you much about coil over kits. I've not done them. If you do drop springs, there's a ton of options. Google is your friend. Google your year make and model with the different brands and types of springs. Look at the pics.

Most people will tell you that minor drops can be done without cc plates. I would argue that cc plates are worthwhile even on stock springs. Really dial in that alignment.

A good set of lower control arms with at least one spherical bushing will tighten up the back axle.

Subframe connectors are a must. Do them first and have them welded in. This mod alone changes the entire feel of your ride. No one has ever regretted putting these on. Full length subframe connectors. Yes.

If you want an even tighter ride, start looking into strut and shock tower braces as well as bigger or adjustable sway bars.

This is bolt on level stuff. Do a little bit at a time and it won't break you. If you want to get real serious about handling look into watts links or panhard bar suspension styles. They are pretty expensive though.

Good tires make a real difference in handling too.

Reactions: 1 users
This will look like a repeat of Mattstang04 above post, but I think you were looking for brand names...I went after handling on my 2K GT convertible as well. I did all the work myself in my garage.
-I kept the stock springs and ride height due to the steep grade/angle of my driveway and some of the rough mountain roads hereabouts.
-installed SR Performance front and rear swaybars with poly front bushing kit (this made the single biggest noticeable "change" in the firmness of the car).
-Installed SR Performance front/rear shock tower braces.
-Installed Southside Machine/GForce subframe connectors (these are bolt ins, but very beefy and bolt in at the front Kmember and the rlca positions unlike most others on the market).
-Installed Koni STR.T struts/shocks (I purchased from Shock Warehouse...I missed it, but they do run specials on Koni from time to time).
-Installed new upper and lower rear control arms from Maximum Motorsports (uppers are Ford Performance units with rubber bushings at both ends...buy their bushing tool for the removal/install of the differential bushings--makes it easy...lowers are HD with poly bushing on the chassis end and spherical on the differential end).
-I have BFG Gforce tires, but there are probably dozens of possibilities out there that are as good. (18x9 rims...255/40zr18 front/275/40zr18 rear).

These combined (maybe miraculously) to make a much more planted and go kart like car. Future plans include front ca poly bushings and steering rack bushings. Other things that changed the "feel" of the car include an MGW shifter and replacement seat foam for the driver's seat. Enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm new here and just purchased a 2002GT that I'm transforming to a track/street car. The previous owner just installed lowering H&R springs (stock suspension) and HD Bilstien shocks all around. I haven't taken things off yet but have already ordered my MM and GW parts. I'm going to Koni coil over's so all the stuff on the car is going....cheap! Will be starting this in a couple weeks.

Car rides fine, I just want better track handling.