Need Technical advice

LAFF

Enough to make my old Nipples hard
Jul 2, 2019
Chillicothe, Missouri
2 times in the last month I have went to start the car after sitting overnight.
Clicks like the battery is dead.
The clock is flashing like the battery has been disconnected.
Jump starts right up.
Will start fine afterwards.
New Battery
New Alternator
New voltage regulator.
I don’t get it z

• Sponsors (?)

It's a connection problem. Clean all the battery, solenoid and starter connections. There is a possibility the battery jas a shorted cell, after jump start they may work several times. Due a voltage drop test.

Well I watched “Eric the Car Guys “ video, and followed his instructions, after running to 0’Riellys and buying a multimeter.
Battery 12.3 —and had no drain on it.
So— clean all connections it is.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't get anywhere with the above, Pull the battery, eventhough new and have it load tested. It may be showing proper volts, but may have a cell going bad and not have proper amperage. You could also have a cable going bad and it has excessive resistance in it. I have a hard crank when hot issue with mine and after I put a new battery in it, if it's still there that's where I'm going next.

Good luck

Along with the suggestions made, put the multimeter on the battery in the morning and watch what happens to the numbers when you try to crank it. If it shows ~12.5 volts but drops down to ~8 or 9 as you try to start it, the battery is likely the issue.

If you don't get anywhere with the above, Pull the battery, eventhough new and have it load tested. It may be showing proper volts, but may have a cell going bad and not have proper amperage. You could also have a cable going bad and it has excessive resistance in it. I have a hard crank when hot issue with mine and after I put a new battery in it, if it's still there that's where I'm going next.

Good luck
Thanks

Bad battery.

Could be other things, but most likely that's the culprit. Easy to test. You should be getting 13+ volts from the alternator while running and all accessories off. The battery should maintain 12.6v off. There should be no draw on it when off. Load test battery. Check the connections and main grounds from the battery and engine block to the frame. If the battery is bad, you still need to check the rest. If the rest of the system has an issue, the battery may be the symptom, not the cause. But, it could just be the issue, too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Bad battery.

Could be other things, but most likely that's the culprit. Easy to test. You should be getting 13+ volts from the alternator while running and all accessories off. The battery should maintain 12.6v off. There should be no draw on it when off. Load test battery. Check the connections and main grounds from the battery and engine block to the frame. If the battery is bad, you still need to check the rest. If the rest of the system has an issue, the battery may be the symptom, not the cause. But, it could just be the issue, too.
How do you load test the battery?

Last night the battery it was showing 12.3
Haven’t started it today, and now 11.8.
Unless I screwed up on the drain test—
Showed no drain.