Need Technical advice

• Sponsors (?)

I've had that HF type one for a long time. It works just fine. Recently got one of these, Autool BT-460 Car Battery Tester Charging System Analyzer.
The BT-360 is less expensive at $20 & less comprehensive than the BT-460.

That really doesn't look like it'll handle a 30 second 100 amp load test to me. Must depend on the engine itself for that test. I've had the same old style load tester in my garage since I could crawl and it still does its job.

Then it'll work great for batteries in the car with starters and connections in good working order. It will not work great if those conditions don't apply and you're trying to troubleshoot the battery alone.

I do like the ripple test function on that device, though.

Load test is performed electronically using some kind of voltage analyzing algorithm.
Since I'm not designing one, don't really care how it works.
The AAA road guys use the same sort of thing.

Take it to advance auto, auto zone or your local auto parts store and they can load test it for you.

It can have proper static voltage but fail the load test. Pull it out and get it tested. Then you'll know

Ignition Switch! Particularly since it's an intermittent issue.
I haven’t done anything yet as far as running down my problem.
In a few minutes I’m taking it down to the shop, and start fixing leaks.
While it’s there I’m removing the battery and taking it to have it tested.
My test at home showed no parasitic drain.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t done anything yet as far as running down my problem.
In a few minutes I’m taking it down to the shop, and start fixing leaks.
While it’s there I’m removing the battery and taking it to have it tested.
My test at home showed no parasitic drain.

If there are bad contacts in the ignition switch, your drain might only be present on occasion.

It might be worth keeping the tools on hand to check again when/if you come across the same condition.

I'm reminded of @jrichker 's Cranks but No Start checklist (you can find this in the 5oh tech forum in the "Useful Technical Index" thread but he might have something more specific to ruling the ignition switch out --and-- I'm not certain it would be helpful with your issue being intermittent. What it [would] bve helpful in doing is eliminating possible problem children as you roll through and run the tests: Cranks but No Start Checklist

I've chased down an issue similar to yours on a Fox before (many moons ago). 30+ years and beat to death.

If there are bad contacts in the ignition switch, your drain might only be present on occasion.

It might be worth keeping the tools on hand to check again when/if you come across the same condition.

I'm reminded of @jrichker 's Cranks but No Start checklist (you can find this in the 5oh tech forum in the "Useful Technical Index" thread but he might have something more specific to ruling the ignition switch out --and-- I'm not certain it would be helpful with your issue being intermittent. What it [would] bve helpful in doing is eliminating possible problem children and you roll through and run the tests: Cranks but No Start Checklist

I've chased down an issue similar to yours on a Fox before (many moons ago). 30+ years and beat to death.
I will follow your advice.
At the moment I’m carrying around a Stanley jump starter just in case.
I just finished replacing my transmission pan. :)

Id bet its a bad "loose" ground. My ignition coil bolts that mount to fender were "tight" ish. But would basicalpy do what ur saying. Random. Click. (Fuel pump would prime if i recall tho) I got a new bolt for ignition coil to mount to fender and tightened that mofo so make a solid ground. Problem has been gone now. I bought a new battery, was like ya. Then click, day later. Re mounted that coil and luckily seened to be the issue. Hasnt done it to me since. I also re tightened the battery cable that goes to it etc... connections. I even almost jump started the car and threw sparks hitting them with my wrench (just to verify i knew what i was doing). Haha. Joking, that was accident.

Point is, what seems like its a solid good ground if it aint solidly tight can do stuff like that apparently. Just an idear.