NEED TRANSMISSION HELP. wheres cheapest tremec seller? what about geforce one?

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
well.. the t-5 in my stock '86 mustang daily driver.. died. nearly impossible to drive..
and im rebuilding my '90 right now, h/c/i.. should easily clear 300rwhp.
the tranny in the '90 is a t-5 and in perfect shape. but, im sure a few runs down the track with all this new power will kill it very quickly.

so, wheres the cheapest spot that sells tremecs?
and, what was that company.. geforce something or other.. that took brand new tremecs from the factory. tore them down, rebuilt them.. to handle alot more torque.

and, i already bought an FMS aluminum driveshaft, FMS billet steel flywheel, steeda firewall adjuster, chm quadrant, and centerforce dual friction clutch, and centerforce throwout bearing.
NOW, if i do get a tremec.. what will i have to change out of the drivetrain setup? i know i cant use the DF clutch.. but what about the driveshaft, etc?

now, the good news.
once i get my lx running smoothly.. it will become my daily driver.
and my dad will take my '86 for himself.
so he said he would help pay for the transmissions :nice:
god knows im poor as hell now.

ps. i do plan on spraying, or supercharging my lx someday. so id like a tranny that will be reliable until that day, and hopefully after :flag:

thanks
derek

• Sponsors (?)

my 2 cents would be to skip the Tremec. You'd have to change the cross member and a couple of other minor parts with the swap. Grab up a T-5 Super duty from Summit (they have the Tremec too i believe). The superduty will handle the power you're putting out plus, and.... it's a direct replacement. Don't forget to throw in a good aftermarket shifter if you don't already have one (trust me on that part if nothing else... I learned the hard way :( )

you just have to change the crossmember....but you can just grind off the welds and relocate the old one. i talked to holcomb motorsports about it. a new cross member is like 40 bucks i think. but at any rate, you will need a new slip yoke for the drive shaft, $72 from holcomb i believe. you can use the DF clutch as long as you get the tko 500 with the 10 spline input shaft. holcomb does sell this but you just have to make sure you ask for it. they were sold out of them when i bought mine, but they do sell them