Negative toe on the right rear

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
Hey guys,
I just came back from the alignment shop after getting my 04 GT aligned. I lowered it with Sportlines and didn't use the cc plates, but they still managed to get it in the 'green'. I guess they used new 'camber bolts' or whatever they're called.

So here are the specs..
FRONT
Camber
L: -1.6 R: -0.9

Caster
L: 3.7 R: 3.9

Toe
L: .10 R: .11

REAR
Camber
L: -0.2 R: -0.1

Toe
L: 0.05 R: -0.14

TOTAL TOE

STEER AHEAD

I am not looking for a 'performance' alignment, I just want something that'll give me reasonable tire wear. So what do you guys think of the negative toe on the RR ? Did I bend something?

• Sponsors (?)

That is nothing to worry about. It is actually really good. It will cause no unusual wear. I have 21 years of experience dealing with suspension repairs and alignments on crashed cars. They did a 4 wheel thrust align on your car which sets the front tires to the angle your rear tires are set at so it tracks straight.

Yeah the alignment tech told me the same thing.

But the problem is the car still pulls to the right when I let go of the steering wheel. I can deal with that though, as long as the tire wear is good..

I don't think I would be alright with that. I had mine aligned last week and it drives perfectly straight. It should'nt pull either direction. Your left front camber is what would bother me.

take it back to them and have the left front camber increased so it is more positive if you have any adjustment left. or lower the camber on the right side closer to the left. or they can decrease the caster on the left front from 3.7 to about 3.2. Or increase the right side caster. Basically on a flat road with no crown your car will tend to pull or drift to the side with the most positive camber and the most negative caster. Usually you want about .5 to the left. you have .5 total to the right between caster and camber. One other thing make sure you do not have a tire pull. You can swap front tires sideto side and see if it changes.

I don't think I would be alright with that. I had mine aligned last week and it drives perfectly straight. It should'nt pull either direction. Your left front camber is what would bother me.

Do you think that -1.6 would cause abnormal tire wear? The tech said I may have a bent a-arm and steering knuckle which would cost about $1k to replace (I guess that price includes labor).

Do you think that -1.6 would cause abnormal tire wear? The tech said I may have a bent a-arm and steering knuckle which would cost about $1k to replace (I guess that price includes labor).

That's an insane price. A-arms are $100-$200, same with a knuckle, takes 3hrs if you've never done it before.

1.6* camber won't be too bad, but whats hurting you is the other side isn't even at .9 - do yourself a favor and buy some maximum motorsports CC plates and have it aligned at a performance shop. Also, while you at it get some adjustable tie rod ends (bumps steer kit) and have the car adjusted for that as well, it will feel like a new car after everything is said and done.

IMO a great alignment can make a car SO much more enjoyable.

Directional tires can still be swapped side to side to check for a pulling problem, Just do not leave them like that. I really doubt you have bent parts. If you have not installed the caster camber plates then do that it will allow you more adjustments. You just need your alignment set up correctlly. As i said in my last post your angles are going to the right you need about .5 to the left. copy my post and take it to your alignment guy and ask him why he can not do this.

That's an insane price. A-arms are $100-$200, same with a knuckle, takes 3hrs if you've never done it before.

1.6* camber won't be too bad, but whats hurting you is the other side isn't even at .9 - do yourself a favor and buy some maximum motorsports CC plates and have it aligned at a performance shop. Also, while you at it get some adjustable tie rod ends (bumps steer kit) and have the car adjusted for that as well, it will feel like a new car after everything is said and done.

IMO a great alignment can make a car SO much more enjoyable.

Will it really make that much difference?

And yeah, I do have MM CC plates in the closet, so all I need to do is install'em. I was thinking of returning them because the alignment tech said he'll be able to align it correctly with the stock stuff, but clearly he couldn't. So they're going on..

So here are the specs..
FRONT
Camber
L: -1.6 R: -0.9

Caster
L: 3.7 R: 3.9

Toe
L: .10 R: .11

I am not looking for a 'performance' alignment, I just want something that'll give me reasonable tire wear. So what do you guys think of the negative toe on the RR ? Did I bend something?

the left front camber will cause inner edge wear.

your pull to the right is because your cross caster is off. you should have a -0.5 split in the caster. basically your RF tire should be 0.5 ahead of your LF (ex. LF = 3.5 RF should be 4.0)

the rear is nothing to worry about.

get you alignment checked about twice a year. it helps to know what the numbers mean when you see them. it isnt the easiest thing to know what all of them mean and it is VERY easy for a shop to make you think your car is out of alignment when it is really in. in fact all they have to do is turn the steering wheel a little to one side or the other and then it will show that the toe is out. i worked with a POS that did that all the time to customers:notnice:

it isnt the easiest thing to know what all of them mean and it is VERY easy for a shop to make you think your car is out of alignment when it is really in. in fact all they have to do is turn the steering wheel a little to one side or the other and then it will show that the toe is out. i worked with a POS that did that all the time to customers:notnice:
wow, that's F'ed up. :nono:
That brings in profits I guess.