Neutral Safety Switch Gear Issue

Honey Gold 65

Nov 24, 2003
Had my tranny rebuilt a few years back. Every now and then, my car will not start unless I force the shifter into park...or sometimes neutral. I've been told this is a neutral safety switch issue.

Is this a simple adjustment? Does anyone have pics?

There are times when she won't start at all...then a few days later, cranks right up.

Thanks for any insight into this continuing adventure!

rt

• Sponsors (?)

That's the issue alright. There are adjustment screws on the switch/ Jack up the car, find the linkange. The peice with the two wires coming out is the N/S switch. I can't remember which way to turn it. But all that is happening is there are two points that touch when it is in N or Park. Whne they are not touching, it won't start. A ohm meter would be perfect for this.

10secgoal said:
That's the issue alright. There are adjustment screws on the switch/ Jack up the car, find the linkange. The peice with the two wires coming out is the N/S switch. I can't remember which way to turn it. But all that is happening is there are two points that touch when it is in N or Park. Whne they are not touching, it won't start. A ohm meter would be perfect for this.

Perfect answer, I like to use a multimeter that makes tone on continuity, hook it to the red and blue wires on the 4 pin connector and rock the switch forward or aft untill you get a solid tone on park then tighten it down. :nice: