Never ending ? To use atf or gear oil?

atf or gear oil?

• atf

Votes: 33 89.2%
  • gear oil

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
About the MTL -- before I bought mine, back when I was first venturing into synthetics, I wanted to consult someone who had used the stuff hands on. I called up Bob Hanlon and talked to him at length about the different options. I believe this is when D4 had just come out.

He told me that he ran MTL in his T5 (can you tell this was a while ago?), and that it was the better fluid. But, it was abolutely NOT for milder temperatures, and definitely NOT for winter use. He said the D4 would handle it much better and could be run year round.

I opted for the MTL anyway, and it shifted great. I was very impressed. I drove all summer like that. As fall approached it started getting a little cooler and I noticed the tranny shifting a little harder and grinding occasionally, and then all of the sudden it got to a point where it would grind on ever shift even if I shifted very slow. Shortly after that it was dead. It had 7000 miles on it -- it was a brand new rebuild.

That's my experience with MTL and using non-ATF in a T5. It still seems to hold true even though I had this experience many years ago.

When I get my T5z in, I plan to use the extra Amsoil I had from my last AOD adventure. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting stuff Adam. At some point, I might try the MTL (or a mix) and see how it does. The D4 seems to do alright for me, even in hot temps. Good info to 'store' away though - thanks. :)