New 1/4 Times

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
Well, I went out to the track today with the drag racing club here at NC State. To begin with, I wasn't looking forward to it, because it was essentially a big group of imports. But they all turned out to be very cool guys, and I probably had the most fun at the strip I've ever had. :nice:

I had my fair share of kills today. :D I beat a bolt on/geared/slicked 5.0; a full bolt on turbo Scion TC; an exhaust LT1; a "twin turboed" 3000 GT (not sure about the twin turbos, he only ran low 16's all day....); a full bolt on, supercharged Cobalt SS; and almost got a full bolt on, slicks, turbo SRT-4 Neon (he got me by <.1). Funny thing is, they were all trapping WAY higher than I was, as in at least 5 mph faster, except the LT1 which was only about 1 mph faster. Some of them ran a slightly quicker ET. I was just destroying them on the reaction time and 60'. Of all those cars I just listed, their fastest 60' was a 2.29 (the Neon) :rlaugh:, and the best reaction time of theirs was a .331, also the Neon. :rlaugh: The Scion trapped at 109, but had a 1.1 RT, and a 2.7 60'. :lol: Anyway, I know my car isn't very fast, but I found it funny that I was beating cars that should have smoked me.

Track: Rockingham Dragway, was very well prepped.
DA: 250 ft
60 degrees out

My best run ET wise:
.06 RT
2.07 60'
9.13 1/8 ET
78.3 1/8 Trap
14.15 1/4 ET
98.8 1/4 Trap

Best run MPH wise:
.07 RT
2.07 60'
9.17 1/8 ET
79.7 1/8 Trap
14.20 1/4 ET
98.9 1/4 Trap

While I was disappointed that I couldn't quite get into the 13s, I was quite pleased compared to my last 1/4 track visit (15.2 at 90....:nonono:) I was very consistent with pretty much everything today:
My 60's were pretty much all between 2.06 and 2.08
RT's were between .050 and .150, with an average of about .100
1/8 ET's were right around 9.15, trapping between mid 78 and mid 79.
1/4 ET's were between 14.18 and 14.22 all day, trapping anywhere in the 98 range.

The best ET and best MPH runs really seemed to be freak runs that I never really duplicated. It was weird that in the best MPH run, I had the same 60', higher 1/8 trap, and higher 1/4 trap, yet ran a slower ET. This happened several times: I got a better 60' than the best ET run, yet ran a tenth or so slower. :shrug: There was about a 15 mph headwind; that may have had something to do with it. And speaking of 60's, I was doing about as good as my car would do. I was launching at 2000 rpm, and it was dead hooking. So I think that about a 2.05-2.07 is as good as my car will do with its current power level and stock stall converter.

So, considering my 1/8 ETs were close to .2 seconds slower than my previous track times (8.98 at 79.3, -1600 DA), I believe that with good weather, I could make a 13 second pass. Anyone know about the best ET you can get out of about 99 mph?

Also, I've got a couple of videos I'll try and get up later tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Spark note version:

Track: Rockingham Dragway, was very well prepped.
DA: 250 ft
60 degrees out

My best run ET wise:
.06 RT
2.07 60'
9.13 1/8 ET
78.3 1/8 Trap
14.15 1/4 ET
98.8 1/4 Trap

Best run MPH wise:
.07 RT
2.07 60'
9.17 1/8 ET
79.7 1/8 Trap
14.20 1/4 ET
98.9 1/4 Trap

Thanks 04GTBLKVERT! Thanks Mark!

I should also add, this time I left the subs, spare tire, jack in the trunk. Also had a small cooler of ice, and two 2 liter Pepsis. I was just too lazy to take them out. I figured all that up to be about 75 lbs.

nice job, man. i'm glad to see your cars running some good times now. if you lose the stuff out of the trunk high 13s should be possible. i ran 13.7-8 with a mid high 97mph trap
btw nice reaction times, you should try a bracket race if you track has it

Yeah, those 124-126mph stock trap speeds are just not fair. What did he trap?

He trapped 124.90. There was another C6 Z06 that trapped about the same, and ran like an 11.1 IIRC. Stupid fast.

I also didn't realize just how fast Trailblazer SS's are. There was one running 13.3 all day long; I don't know the mods, but he definitely had exhaust. That truck was flat moving down the track.

Yea, I think she definitely has 13s in her. With the extra weight out, and some cooler nighttime air, it'll definitely go 13s. The auto still isn't shifting like I want it. It sometimes shifts later than other times, and sometimes it shifts hard, sometimes it doesn't. I think this also kinda accounts for the 60'-ET inconsistency.

Either way, I won't be heading back to the track till I get the blower on. And i can't wait for then.

Nice runs and great E.T.'s. Looks like it was a good time.

Was that at Rockingham? Sure looks familiar. I had some friends go to Fayetteville today and one broke, the other set a new personal best. Ahhh, drag racing...:rlaugh:

Nice runs and great E.T.'s. Looks like it was a good time.

Was that at Rockingham? Sure looks familiar. I had some friends go to Fayetteville today and one broke, the other set a new personal best. Ahhh, drag racing...:rlaugh:

Yea, it was at the Rock. The club here at school goes to either Rockingham or Fayetteville on their trips. I've never been to either of them before, but Rockingham's track was hooking better than any place I've been before.

Looks like it will be time for a set of DR's.

Yea, I'm gonna put a set on my stock aluminum wheels to use just for the track. That'll save that much un-sprung weight. Probably gonna go with the Nitto 555Rs.

I would get MT ET Street Radials or NT05Rs if you're only going to use them for the track. Both tires should hook way better than the NT555Rs, with the MTs being the best... or so I've heard.

Looks like the car is running great Will great job!

Nice runs! Now just wait 'til you get that sc on there! Your really gonna have some fun!

Thanks guys! Yes, I cannot wait for spring break and getting my SC on. I look forward to working on my car almost as much as I do the results.

you have any gears? that would def put you well in the 13's

Nope. Stock 3.27s. And while yes, I know that gears would help, I do a LOT of highway driving, and my car being a DD, I need gas mileage. So I don't see the gears changing any time soon, if ever.

I would love to join this club! what days do you guys head down to the track?

That was the first time I've ever gone with them. I just saw the club for the first time last week in the Brickyard. Next definite race is April 24 at Rockingham. These are the forums we use. WolfpackSCC &bull; Index page When you sign up on the forums, there is a sub-forum for the drag racing stuff. Shoot one of the admins an email and I'm sure they'll add you to the list.