NEW AC system stopped cooling

NurseGuy

May 27, 2019
Sylvania GA
Hi all! So, now that I have my car back from the shop I noticed that my BRAND NEW AC system isn't cooling like it was (barely at all). Car has been in shop for roughly 3 weeks getting clutch and transmission work. I got it back a few days ago but to my dismay, the AC is not blowing cold like it initially was. I have not been able to measure the temp from the vents as I don't have a thermometer at my disposal. I do know that hit has a new compressor, condenser, orifice tube, and drier. It was blowing ice cold 3 weeks ago and now, it's room temp at best. Any ideas???? I'm going to take it back to the guy who did the work and hopefully he will make it right.

• Sponsors (?)

Short cycling makes sense for a low refrigerant charge. Basically the compressor pulls a suction on the low side, and because there isn't enough refrigerant the pressure drops below the level for the low pressure switch, cutting the compressor off. With the suction gone, the pressure rises back above the cutoff level and the compressor kicks back on.

It definitely is consistent with a small leak. If it sat for 3 weeks, it could have leaked enough to cause what you're seeing. You'd need to get a set of gauges on it to really see what's going on.

Short cycling makes sense for a low refrigerant charge. Basically the compressor pulls a suction on the low side, and because there isn't enough refrigerant the pressure drops below the level for the low pressure switch, cutting the compressor off. With the suction gone, the pressure rises back above the cutoff level and the compressor kicks back on.

It definitely is consistent with a small leak. If it sat for 3 weeks, it could have leaked enough to cause what you're seeing. You'd need to get a set of gauges on it to really see what's going on.
should there be any leaks if the guy just charged me $$$ to "fix" the AC.

Ughhh...... so over this :poo:. This is the last time I use this guy.... as soon as I get my car back from the exhaust shop I'm taking it to him with an ultimatum.... FIX IT RIGHT OR WE GO TO COURT on his dime.