New AFR/FTI Times - End of Season

94DreamGT

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2000
Indiana
I figured I’d give the track one last shot in the Fall this year and try to take advantage of the cool air to get some better times. Last time out in July I had a best of 12.84 @ 108.96. Unfortunately, it seemed a warm and humid front decided to hit the Midwest this weekend and it was in the 60’s when I was running. Still good racing weather, but not ideal for Fall when you are looking for that dry 40-degree air.

Anyways…I did not touch a single thing in the engine from my last time out. Not even timing or FP. Only difference in the car as a whole was I pulled the passenger seat out to try to lose a little weight (rears have been out all the time). My 3-year Nitto DR’s are getting worse for wear and I was hoping they’d still hook.

Right off a 2 hour drive to the track, these were my first 4 passes:

13.42 @ 108.42 (2.24 60’) - Spin all the way through first and halfway through second. Didn’t heat the Nitto’s up enough apparently.

12.97 @ 109.00 (1.96 60’) - First time hitting 109mph…nice but still not launching it good.

12.97 @ 109.26 (1.97 60’) – Another good mph…still need better launch.

13.03 @ 108.96 (1.98 60’) – Sucked

This is where I decided I needed to do something since this was the end of the year for racing. I had bought a short-belt earlier in the year but never put it on. I said what the hell and threw it on just to see what it would do. These were my two passes after putting it on:

12.75 @ 109.76 (1.87 60’) - Finally getting a better launch. Short belt picked up about 1mph.

12.72 @ 110.07 (1.84 60’) – Did a healthy 2nd gear burn-out on the Nitto’s. Launched pretty hard from 3500rpm and it bit good. 110mph made me happy.

By now it was getting really crowded and there was a 40 minute wait to get a run in. I knew I’d only have one run left so I decided to go for broke (literally) and put on a set of ET Streets that my buddy had there. 26” x 10.5” x 15” on Weld Draglites.

Bolted them up, aired them down to 12psi and got in line. I knew I was taking a big risk with stock axles and everything, but I didn’t care…end of season. I did a burnout and got to the line. Brought the rpm up to 5000 and dropped the hammer when the tree fell. The thing absolutely jumped out of the hole. Sadly, I was a little unprepared for the jolt and I think I momentarily got out of the gas a little and it bogged a half second later. I got back into it and made a fairly clean run…but nothing special:

12.71 @ 109.54 (1.81 60’) - I knew if I had stayed in the launch it would of easily been a mid to low 1.7 60’, but it was my first time out on Et Streets. Sadly I was only able to cut .03 of a second better than I was on my 17” Nitto’s.

Anyways…that’s it. Best ET/MPH got me a 12.71 @ 110.07. I was happy but I know with cooler weather and really getting a good launch, I could see 12.5 or better. The 110mph is good for it.

And lastly, although I know I sound like a broken record on this…for those who want to know, the car has the following:
Stock 100% computer….no tuning (shift retard and all)
Stock Cobra Intake & 65 TB
3.73 gears (crossing traps at 5200-5400rpm…plenty of gear left)

And with everything out of it including the seat I had taken out, the scales showed the car weighed 3190…which puts race weight at about 3350.

• Sponsors (?)

Those are still some good times, regardless of letting out or not. Good job.

It gets a little nerve-racking when those sticky tires hit and it sounds like someone just slammed the rear of your car with a sledge hammer, huh? :D

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Jake when do the tracks up in Bumble-F close for the year? August? If it's not already snowing and you had the car, you could probably turn some serious ET's.

Joe

LOL...

As far as I know they just closed this past weekend. I would have loved to run again this year, but I'm 350 miles away at school and the car's put away. All my friends back home were cutting alot off their bests from the summer. I might have to make a weekend trip home next fall to get some runs in the cool weather. :)

Jake

Jeremy

Great job.

That mph is a sign of making good power, thats for sure.

You know that you can get the times down even more as the sticky tires proved that. You know what they say about a tenth gained on the sixty foot.

I don't blame you for being concerned about your stock axles with those sticky tires. You could always slip the clutch like Paul. Kinda tuff on the clutch but it does take some of the shock off of the driveline and helps the sixty foot.

Looking forward to your better times next season.

Later
Grady

Joes95GT said:
It gets a little nerve-racking when those sticky tires hit and it sounds like someone just slammed the rear of your car with a sledge hammer, huh? :D
Joe

Joe,

Ain't that ever the truth! As soon as I side-stepped that clutch...BOOM!!! For a millisecond I thought I had blown up the rear-end, then I realized I was jumping forward so I knew I was good :)

Thanks everyone else...never thought I'd see 110mph with the set-up in current form. With a tune, intake, etc...it could get impressive. Not sure when that'll happen, for now I'm happy though.

Smokin times man. That thing really runs. I was lookin forward to getting some new quarter mile times in the fall, but my track got closed down at the end of august :( . Freak in sucks, there are no 1/4 tracks anywhere near here.