New Battery and Low Coolant Light??

Twete

Aug 29, 2010
Kirkland, WA
I just purchased an optima battery and immediately after installing it noticed my low coolant light come on... Coolant level is fine though! Has anybody else had this happen or have any idea why this may be? I don't exactly see how the two would be correlated

• Sponsors (?)

Twete,

As GDawg said, jiggle the float in the tank. It is common that it will get stuck and give a false low-level indication. Check to see that the electrical plug is plugged into the coolant level assembly - it could have been knocked during the battery swap. If you haven't changed your coolant for a while, it may be a good idea to do it. In the short term, you could just drain the reservoir, flush with a garden hose, drain, and refill with fresh coolant. This will remove any solids in the tank. This is a temporary solution since the reservoir volume will eventually get swapped with the coolant in the system. The partial flush will reduce suspended solids so they won't cause the float to stick so often.

HTH,

Chris

Ok cool, thanks for the info guys. I went for a very long drive today and after everything was all warmed up light eventually clicked off, I'm wondering if pressure within the overall cooling system has anything to do with it.

Ok cool, thanks for the info guys. I went for a very long drive today and after everything was all warmed up light eventually clicked off, I'm wondering if pressure within the overall cooling system has anything to do with it.

If your coolant bottle light keeps giving you false signals, put a paper clip in the female part, that will ground the sensor and trick the car in thinking that magnet is not there. Wrap in electrical tape.

If your coolant bottle light keeps giving you false signals, put a paper clip in the female part, that will ground the sensor and trick the car in thinking that magnet is not there. Wrap in electrical tape.

I think I might give that a try, is there any downside to this method? Is it essentially shorting out the sensor? Will it continue to function in the future?

after just swapping my rad i got the low coolant light as well and my float keeps getting stuck off an on cause in the light to come on..i just unplugged the sensor and there is no light...its a quick fix to a bad sensor :nice:

mine is unplugged after a coolant tank upgrade that doesnt have a sensor on it, i have no low coolant light, so id agree with above that unplugging will turn it off too. i check my levels frequently.
btw: were you parked on a hill when you changed battery,,, i park on a steap driveway, when i start my car i get low everything light, oil , coolant ( when i had sensor) then after pulling it up the driveway they'd go off.