New block, heads, cams... HELP ME FINISH!

MoNsTaMaCk24

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2002
Shippensburg, PA
Ok I bought a block with probe pistons that are dished, stock rods, stock crank. I have stage 3 ported and polished heads with SHM cams made for superchargers. I think I am going to buy forged rods yet( Need to know best for the money) And I am considering a procharger or turbo kit! Front mount all the way!!! How much HP and where can I redline a stock GT crank. And I will need new water pump and oil pump! Need opinions! I wanna be able to put down near 600 rwhp! And how can I make a 4R70W handle that hp???

• Sponsors (?)

Well first off i bought heads with cams for 850 bucks less than 1000 miles on them, block is shipped for less than 600 bucks... It is brand new!!! Cobra crank I will buy if I find one for less than 400 shipped if not GT crank ill hold up and no offense but I heard better things from other short blocks... Not those two... So please try to answer my questions!

First off I would buy a new oil pump and water pump for a new rebuid. Then I'd get some Eagle H Beam rodsto go with. The stock crank isn't much good after spinning it to 6500 rpm, So I'd step up to a Cobra crank.

Darkhrse99 said:
First off I would buy a new oil pump and water pump for a new rebuid. Then I'd get some Eagle H Beam rodsto go with. The stock crank isn't much good after spinning it to 6500 rpm, So I'd step up to a Cobra crank.

Yeah I am definatley getting a good oil pump and water pump... I thought about a new oil pan like canton 7 QT. but do they have any real advantages??? And what if I decide to keep the RPM's below 6500... Due to stock valve springs and so forth... My heads are stage 2 P&P really due to the fact the valves and springs are stock... Im on a budget. I found forged rods for 350 bucks on ebay and they say good for 1000 hp and have arp studs... Now I know they wont be as good as eagle or manley but for the money ya know... And I need all the gaskets and so forth... Anyone know where I can buy the whole set of new gaskets? And I am gonna go with a turbo kit or procharger... One or the other...

Budget build and your'e thinking of a turbo? First, like stated above for the $5-600 get the cobra crank and be done with it. Sure the gt crank has made 500 rwhp but why test it? What kind of rods did you see on ebay that have arp studs? Both eagle and manley now come with arp 2000 bolts so is that what your'e talking about? By the way, they're also both made in china in the same factory so don't let that bother you.

micool said:
Budget build and your'e thinking of a turbo? First, like stated above for the $5-600 get the cobra crank and be done with it. Sure the gt crank has made 500 rwhp but why test it? What kind of rods did you see on ebay that have arp studs? Both eagle and manley now come with arp 2000 bolts so is that what your'e talking about? By the way, they're also both made in china in the same factory so don't let that bother you.

How much are those rods??? These have ARP 2000 bolts... If i can get manley or eagle for less than 500 I might consider...