Brakes New brake booster - adjustment needed?

ReefBlueGT

5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
Hi all, after noticing a loud hiss from the brake pedal when braking and the pedal traveling close to halfway before the brakes engaged, did a little research on here and figured replacing the booster was a good bet. Got the old one out, put in a remanufactured one, and the hissing is gone and pedal feels great. I probably now have less than an inch of pedal travel before I feel the brakes engage.

But, after getting back from a drive and getting ready to park, it seemed like the brakes were dragging. Brakes weren’t dragging badly enough to be noticeable while driving, just when I was going to park and using the clutch to crawl along. The car stops on its own more quickly than just rolling to a stop. I checked the front discs and it looks like the pads are resting right on the discs while parked. I can’t see a gap in between them.

I have the remanufactured stock style booster, a stock MC, and stock front disc/rear drum setup. Do I wait for the brakes to self adjust or wear down, or should I adjust the booster pushrod slightly? Is there any other adjustment that can be done, or is that it?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks @Cheapskate207, appreciate the help. Once I looked at the tool and did a little more research, decided to save the $30 and week of waiting, and measure it myself using a plastic straw. My first try ended up with too much pedal travel, even though it didn't bottom out on the floor, there was still too much play for me before the brakes engaged. Measured and adjusted again, giving the pushrod a little extra length, and they ended up nice and tight, a lot less pedal travel, and no drag.

Reactions: 2 users