new CAFE standards

is anyone else getting worried about the future of the mustang, or any other v8 powered vehicle that you like.

does 35mpg seem like a realistic standard to hold every single car company to?

i mean im all about saving the environment, but when cars only make up 20% of the total polution being put into the air...it seems that we should have more strict standard on industry instead of the automotive field.

and if this is how its gonna be, better hold on to your mustang for a while cause everybody is going to want to have one of the "classic" new edge mustangs...you know, when they still had a V8

• Sponsors (?)

It's all politics.

1) if there was a real energy crisis, v8's would no longer be manufactured and we would get around in two cylinder smart car wanna-be's.

2) the industry does use a greater percentage but the bring jobs to the US regardless of pollution...they trade credits.

3) Several independant parties have proven that 35 mpg is possible with plenty of big-vehicle power, but again politics plays part in mass producing said technology. What would happen to oil futures? Where would the record profits go?

4) In the 80's during the recession, if my history is correct, Reagan lowered/eased CAFE standards so the price of crude wouldn't go under. This brought back performance to the automotive field but also lead to future complications due to our increasing thirst for light sweet crude.

5) Gas prices are based on predictions: if someone with great influence persuades others that there is a so-called problem; now we have a problem. To me it's a very round about way of collusion, but I'm just John Q. so either you can drive a corolla or drive a GT; the choice is yours.

I'm sure the future of Mustang will lie in what Ford said at the Detroit Auto Show about "EcoBoost." There's already word of the 2010 Mustang V6 getting EcoBoost with a twin-turbocharged motor ranging from 350-415hp.

I overheard one Ford spokeswoman saying "get used to turbocharging"

Well I think it's 35mpg across a manufacturer's whole range of cars. So theoretically as long as Ford still makes the foci, fusions, and 6'ers the GT's are safe. Also with the VCM and various other energy-saving technolgies I'm thinking we're going to see more powerful, yet more efficient V8's in the future. Hell, look at how much power the japanese make with little N/A fours...

I plan on holding onto my GT as long as I can.

Ill be the guy riding around in the "old" hotrod thats running rediculously fast 1/4 mile times and getting 5-8mpg depending if im in a haul ass, or haul more ass mood.

Of course this will be during the next generation whom will be cruising the streets in eco freindly homosexually influenced bubble mobiles with a max of 2 cylinders running off of dead vegitables.

Oh, and their horns will make that hiddeous "meep meep" sound... :nonono:

I plan on holding onto my GT as long as I can.

Ill be the guy riding around in the "old" hotrod thats running rediculously fast 1/4 mile times and getting 5-8mpg depending if im in a haul ass, or haul more ass mood.

Of course this will be during the next generation whom will be cruising the streets in eco freindly homosexually influenced bubble mobiles with a max of 2 cylinders running off of dead vegitables.

Oh, and their horns will make that hiddeous "meep meep" sound... :nonono:

:lol:

well im not saying i want to drive a corolla. im just saying that v8's in mustangs may be a thing of the past in a relatively short time.

You have to look at the ratio of 6cyl stangs vs 8 cyl stangs; 6cyl out sell the 8's by a decent amount.

A variable turbo would be a big boost in performance, but not necessarily a boost in economy. For a given hp amount, you need to consume a given amount of fuel depending on its energy output.

So... look at a 300hp mustang mpg vs an STI mpg driving around town... both aren't the gratest. If you even compare highway driving they're still close in economy.

I know that for every gas hog sold a dealer needs to sell so many econo cars which was mentioned above.

I think ecoboost is going to be awesome. I might trade my car in for one if they come out. I have a feeling the aftermarket is going to take to that motor very well

i'd trade mine for a twin turbo's 6cyl mustang. imagine the sound that thing would make.... it would cost me too much to tt my current mustang after the rebuild and all. LOL

I guess I'm a dinosaur...

I'd take a 270/300HP V8 over a 400/450HP V6 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday...

there is just something special about a V8 (and yes I have driven and owned high powered/turbo-ed 6's and 4's)