New Crankshaft Pulley Problem

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't have issues installing my Steda a few years ago. It is a tolerance fit and keyway, so that's what I'd be checking. If memory serves me you use a longer bolt to start the pulley. Other than that, not sure where your problem is.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up popping it in my oven for ~twenty minutes at 350, and then it slid (a little work) right on. I got the anti-seize on and some M-1 on the washer and end of the bolt before hand... 118 foot pounds and presto!

Thank-you for your replies ✌

I ended up popping it in my oven for ~twenty minutes at 350, and then it slid (a little work) right on. I got the anti-seize on and some M-1 on the washer and end of the bolt before hand... 118 foot pounds and presto!

Thank-you for your replies ✌
I'd completely forgotten about doing this. I had to do the same to mine. Did you run across the info here or thru a search?

Reactions: 1 users
I'd completely forgotten about doing this. I had to do the same to mine. Did you run across the info here or thru a search?
No. I do this with anything I touch up with paint or if I can't take a torch to warm up whatever I'm working on. Doing it for years - even got a special oven I snagged from an alley - people throw out this kind of stuff all the time... didn't need burners that don't work anyway...

Plus, it makes sense right? Something's too tight, pop it in the oven for ten minutes. BUT, with my crank pulley, I had to watch the temp lest I foxk the pulley's rubber compound tegridy.

I put mine in boiling water. If I remember correctly it was in the instructions for the pullies.
You see, that prolly would've made more sense than cranking the oven hoping a body doesn't screw up the construction of the pulley - I DIDN"T - but I'm just saying, "Next time I'm going with boiling water!!!

Thanks for reminding me of the boiling. I can remember my Da doing the same a long time ago.

Reactions: 1 users