Electrical New electrical issue.....fuse welded in place???

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hi guys...more electrical problems. Digging through my dash wiring mess, I have come across an issue that I don't know what to do about.
It seems my #9 fuse....AC/heater blower fuse, 30a, has welded itself into place. One side of the fuse is all black and brown...burned looking.

I tried to pull it and the fuse just broke up, very brittle and now is just pieces.
Is there a repair for this? The whole fuse block isn't great looking but the rest of the fuses do pull out ok. This seems like a big mess to me. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

There are small plastic tabs that if you press, the entire row of contacts on the fuse block will come out. You may be able to release the affected contacts, bsck it from the block and clear it and see if it’s no-good or repairable.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thanks for that info Mike. All this time and I had no idea the contacts could be removed like that. The area around the fuse is totally melted out and destroyed. I just ordered a fuse block replacement on Ebay that is totally intact. Now, using your info, I will try and see if I can pull the good contacts from my old block and insert into the replacement block. If not, I hate the idea of splicing/soldering my old wires to the new blocks pigtails. That seems like a lot of work. I'm ok at soldering but don't enjoy it...especially this amount.
Thanks again for the help.
Ken

I have looked over the fuse block and have no idea where the "plastic tabs" that Mike mentioned. I don't see them. I did, however, order a 'new' block off ebay. It came today and is in MUCH better condition. I would like to be able to slide out and use the existing wires that are in good shape and avoid as much soldering as I can. Anyone have info on how to release the fuse holder pins from the fuse block?
Thanks guys,
Ken

It’s hard to explain as I’m going off memory of when I was redoing my fuse box harness a few months ago. But the metal clips insert into the box and are held in place by small plastic tabs. The metal contacts are in strips. You might have to solder in one strip, but it’s better than the entire box.

unfortunately my fuse block is installed now so I can’t pull it out and demonstrate. Can you attach pics so I can give you some better instructions? You’ll need a small pick. You need to kinda reach down and release the tabs while pulling back. There’s a trick to it.

Ok found a pic.

I believe these are the clips that secure the strips. You’ll need a small pick to carefully pry the plastic tab back and pull the metal row out.

it’s easier to describe if I had the part in my hand. But look down in here at what is securing the metal fuse connections in place.

B6641347-8476-42CB-BCBB-1E5991870799.jpeg

If you box is melted it might made sense to strip down the new block you bought, and move your existing wiring over to it. You’ll need to take tom of pics though to make sure everything is in the right spot

OK 5L5...I appreciate your pictures and comments. I sure hope I can strip the new one. Luckily I can get good practice removing the clips while holding the block in my hand. Then, when I get to the one hanging in the car I will be prepared. Luckily all the wires appear to match between the new block and my old melted one. The new one came with about 6" of pigtails where they cut it out of the donor harness. I think only the heater blower fuse was destroyed. The rest look ok from the outside but who knows until I pull them out. The old block was definitely abused. Some previous owner kid really wreaked havoc on the wiring. That's why I have gone ahead and pulled the entire dash out, along with the entire interior. Going to replace everything. Luckily I have been collecting an entire new interior during my 6 year absence here....slowly ordering parts so I didn't raise too much attention with my wife!!! The wiring is so messed up. The kid had "installed" alarms, stereo crap, etc. A lot of spliced wires. I am about done soldering and wrapping it all back together. The fuse block is next and it all should be working fine.
I'll let you know how the fuse block goes!
Thanks again,
Ken

A tip for wires that won't stay put in the fuse block or other connectors:
A small hot glue gun and high temp glues sticks are an excellent fix. With the wire in place, just apply a small dab of the high temp hot glue to the wire side of the fuse block or connector and let it cool before moving it around.

Walmart has the glue gun and high temp hot glue in store. Check to see that the glue gun says that it will get hot enough to melt the high temp hot glue. The glue gun I have has a switch on the side to set it for high temperature or normal temperature.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
The blower motor or resistor could've caused that melt down. I'm sure you've been through those parts already.

Interesting you mention the hot glue gun....Just today I had to do that to a connector. 6 port connector and only 2 of the wires still had the clips intact. I found this by accident while going through each wire bundle. A wire just fell out when I moved the connector. I ended up using some micro zip ties to tie the loose wires to one that was still clipped in, then used the max hot glue to glue the backside of the wires/connectors. They are solid, no way they will move, especially having them anchored down to good wires first. Now I have to figure out what this connector connects to?!
Thanks for all the info guys. Still have to start working on the fuse block.

OK guys....started switching the terminals from my old fuse block to the new one. I am able to get the single-wire terminals out without too much trouble, but.....I cannot seem to get the terminals with metal plates between slots out. Some of them cover 2 slots and some of them span 3 slots. They just won't let go?!
I hope someone has a simple solution for me. This is definitely better than having to solder all the wires as a splice. I have also been able to finally trace all the loose wires I had dangling to where they should go/or their function. Now just tidying up all the bundles.
Help on the terminals??????
Thanks,
Ken

ALSO........would someone be so kind to help with the drain tube. I have a short rubber drain tube coming from the cowl going into the left kickpanel. The tube seems too short so I can't figure out its proper routing. I want to make sure I get everything....wires and tubes back where they belong. ALL wires are currently pulled out into the floorpan. The dash and frame are out. I could really use a picture of the wire bundles in the left kickpanel area. I'm fearing I am not going to get everything back where it belongs.
Help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Ken

Unfortunately I don’t have one in hand to explain it well. It was a year ago I last played with the block. Those strips are held in by tabs. You just need to use a small pick to release them. I know...easier said than done.

No sunroof....regular old hatch.

I have been able to swap over about 6 wires so far...a bit tough to get out but getting there. Those metal strips are definitely giving me trouble though.....none of them loose yet! I will keep trying to get to their tabs.....don't see them like on the single wires though.?????