New exhaust in a 94 GT, first impressions.

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
My son has a 94 GT vert...
Today we upgraded the exhaust, and we love the results.

I wanted to go with some higher end parts, but budget wouldn't allow.
Here's what we have for exhaust now:

Summit 1 5/8" primary shorties
BBK OR-H
MAC Flowpath cat-back

The Flowpath has been on the car for a few months now.
It was very deep, but subdued.

My son got the shorties and OR-H, and I told him I didn't think it would change the sound much. Boy was I wrong. It sounds GREAT!

I didn't like the BBK OR-H when it comes to install. I felt like it could have been better designed for fitment. However, now that it is in, all is good.
They could have made the install easier though. The hangers didn't line up, and the AIR pipe didn't line up. Seems like they were just lazy when it came to engineering a good fit.

The Summit headers were decent. A bit sloppy on the welds, but I know you get what you pay for. The passenger side header dropped right in from top, and the drivers went in from bottom. Easy cheezy. No unbolting mounts or raising engine at all. The oil dipstick fits, but not in the same postition as stock. No big deal.

FWIW...

• Sponsors (?)

My other son has a 5.0 with:

MAC equal length shorties
Brand name (forgot which) OR-X
2.5" Dynomax Race Bullets
Side exhaust exiting before the rear tires
(Tips are my old stock rectangular Z28 tips ;) )

I can't decide which car sounds better now.
Of course, sibling rivalry is now expecting me to pick a winner! :)

I do know that the OR-X fit REALLY poorly compared to the BBK OR-H.
I'd never buy another exhaust part from that company...

The MAC/X pipe car sounds downright bad@ss, while the Shorty/H pipe car is nearly as loud, with that 5.0 sound we all drool over.

I've heard that setup on a 2000 4.6 and I am not a fan, it would sound decent with a nice heads and cam :)

if you dump those MAC mufflers with turndowns, there will be a clear winner.