New exhaust is in order

OregonMustang

May 18, 2004
Newberg,OR
So I'm looking at the Magnaflow catback. Should I wait a little longer and put the X pipe on with it at the same time?

I'm planing on getting:
  • Magnaflow Catback
  • 2.80 pulley - w/Gator Belt
  • Custom Tune - SCT at performance shop

Yeah buddy can't wait!

So on the exhaust...how does the Magnaflow compare with say the Flowmaster....I'm looking at power here...both I'm sure are similar. I heard that a particular brand does not produce as much as the others.

Second will not get as much HP's due to the lack of a better X pipe in place of the stock H?

Thanks!

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

COBRA90GT said:
Straight through design mufflers (such as Magnaflow), will yield better gains than chambered mufflers like Flowmaster.

You do stand to free up additional power by replacing the factory H pipe. You don't *have to* replace it at the same time, but when I did my exhaust, I did so for convenience. It's up to you. Enjoy.

:cheers:

nice...I figured as such...think I will save up for it...get the pulley and the tune instead....hmmm lets see + 40 for the pulley....+ 30 for the tune....and mabye +12 for the X pipe....

Doh!

LOL

I just hope it sounds good :)

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
If you are dead set on the Flow's sound you will give up a lil' power for it instead of going with the stright thru design. These things make so much power anyway you may want the sound instead of the extra ponies. :rolleyes:

I'm getting the Magnaflow...period....I love the sound..it's awsome!
I was just wondering if there was a better crunching sound...NASCAR like I love that ....sheet tearing goodness.

LOL

OregonMustang said:
I'm getting the Magnaflow...period....I love the sound..it's awsome!
I was just wondering if there was a better crunching sound...NASCAR like I love that ....sheet tearing goodness.

LOL

I like my magnaflows, but they dont have the classic flowmaster sound. I believe slp has the Nascar sound down pat though.

01SN8K said:
if you want more of a Nascar sound then either the slp loudmouth or the borla stingers sound the most like it. but they do so with more of a price.

Nicey! SLP huh....wicked! Would I still be near +20rwhp with an SLP ...I can't say rice burner Borla....

The SLP loud mouth is the same price as the Magnaflow 16544 Cobra IRS kit ....I'm wondering now about the quality of the products....:)

I wish I could an SLP....damn ..anyone know of anyone that ha :flag: a sound clip of one on thier late model cobra...03 or 04 prefered. Thank you much :)

Uncle Meat said:
Personally I don't care for the SLP sound, too raspy in my opinion. Exhaust sound is subjective though so get what sounds best to you! All of the top quality Cat-backs produce approximately the same HP/TQ gains.

U.M.

I agree *nods* but I don't like that high pitched 'pop' you get from some exhaust systems...I have heard the Maga's do that...and have not heard the SLP's do that...is it dependent the cars setup tune etc....or is the 'poping' a bi-product of the exhuast type?

so again I think from hearing the clips the SLP's don't do that ....but then again it could be the clips I heard.

LOL ok who changed my sig....LOL

OregonMustang said:
So I'm looking at the Magnaflow catback. Should I wait a little longer and put the X pipe on with it at the same time?

I'm planing on getting:
  • Magnaflow Catback
  • 2.80 pulley - w/Gator Belt
  • Custom Tune - SCT at performance shop

Yeah buddy can't wait!

So on the exhaust...how does the Magnaflow compare with say the Flowmaster....I'm looking at power here...both I'm sure are similar. I heard that a particular brand does not produce as much as the others.

Second will not get as much HP's due to the lack of a better X pipe in place of the stock H?

Thanks!

:nice:

The Magnaflows sound sweet !

I put mine on like 3 weeks ago and havent turned the radio on since. I had flowmasters on my LT-1 T/A and liked em alot but the Magnaflow have a totally different sound. I would say the magnaflows have a little bit more rumble to em (even with the stock H-pipe). I would be afraid to delete my cat's and have the exaust become "to loud" but I havent heard a set up with cat delete yet. I would say for the price you cant go wrong with these ...

mali1966 said:
The Magnaflows sound sweet !

I put mine on like 3 weeks ago and havent turned the radio on since. I had flowmasters on my LT-1 T/A and liked em alot but the Magnaflow have a totally different sound. I would say the magnaflows have a little bit more rumble to em (even with the stock H-pipe). I would be afraid to delete my cat's and have the exaust become "to loud" but I havent heard a set up with cat delete yet. I would say for the price you cant go wrong with these ...

Nicey...SWEET!

Ok now I feel like a dork...no wonder my car sounds like a kitten I do have the baffeling in it as well...screws huh..hmmmmmm

Ahhh my exhuast has the inner roll i.e. what looks like baffeling but its part of the tips....I don't see anything like a screw anywhere....just the mounting harness. ?????

DoubleONegative said:
My FR500 and Mac ProChamber sound like a Nextel Cup car at WOT i love it

the FR500 is a dual mode muffler , at low RPMs it sounds somewhat docile but open her up and the flap in the mufflers opens to a straight thought design

Can you give us a sound clip love :) LOL
I would love to hear it...or a reference to what it sounds like i.e. some other site that has one...I have heard on one the exhaustsounds site...and it was ok...not very nascar....but then again...recording is hard.