New Forum for Stangnet?

mp67

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Texas
I'm thinking "RESTOMOD". This way the people who are into radically changing their stangs(such as 6 to 8 swaps etcc..) will have a place to talk about it and the guys who are strictly purists will have a place. If someone wanted to ask about a swap on restomod, then there would be no arguing on if its wise or not cause that is what restomod is about. If the purist wanted to restomod his ride a little he could venture over for ideas, and if the restomodder wanted to keep some of his ride factory original he could check out the classics. Does anyone think that is breaking it down too far. I mean, afterall, we have a forum for a car that is not even in production yet. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion there shouldn't have to be a seperate forum for restomod people. There shouldn't be any arguing between purists and restomoders anyways, if someone doesn't agree with something someone wants to do to there car, they shouldn't post a reply. Only the people that like the idea or have the same interests should chime in. Just my opinion, and everyone has one.

I'd have no problem with that. It does get a little weird in here at times and at least if we had a common ground (modified Mustangs) we could eliminate at least one potential arguement when discussing the validity of a modification.

I hear you crush, and I wish that was the way it was. But I got loaded up on the other day, and unfortunately was foolish enough to participate back in the ranting. I was away from the sight for a while cause it seems alot of times people don't like your opinion they call you names. And in the short time I've been back, I've seen a lot of bickering between purists and restomod minded people. Hell, the 4.6 mod motor has been powereing mustangs since 96 and they got it broken down to cobras, bullits, mach 1's etc.. There are at least 3 boards for the six. Just thinking it might keep things a little more peaceful. :shrug:

I think of this as free discussion not arguement. There are negative aspects of ANY automotive discussion. If only those who SUPPORTED the discussion reponded, how would the poster learn the problems and pitfalls of what he is proposing? :shrug:

I understand that Dave. And I agree if a guy comes on and says "Im thinking of doing this swap" But as recently happened a guy said "Im doing this swap and need info on it" People tried to tell him it was a bad idea, not what he was looking for evidently, and he ranted hard on some guy and told him to stick some certain rules somewhere. Another guy posted his opinion in the same thread about 6 versus 8 and was ranted on real hard. I'm all for discussion, but if I can't post my opinion on the topic without getting hammered for it, then I would rather spend all of my time on my vette board. And since I really like my stang, I'd hate to do that. :(

mp67 said:
I'm thinking "RESTOMOD". This way the people who are into radically changing their stangs(such as 6 to 8 swaps etcc..) will have a place to talk about it and the guys who are strictly purists will have a place. If someone wanted to ask about a swap on restomod, then there would be no arguing on if its wise or not cause that is what restomod is about. If the purist wanted to restomod his ride a little he could venture over for ideas, and if the restomodder wanted to keep some of his ride factory original he could check out the classics. Does anyone think that is breaking it down too far. I mean, afterall, we have a forum for a car that is not even in production yet. What do you think?

Well, putting that (restomod question) into the title of your message would help "weed out" purists, but sometimes stock stuff is desired to be retained, or not modded to the extent of not going back to original. The original intent of the term restomod was to change something to where it could easily be changed back to original (short of paint). Shaving driprails would not be considered a restomod modification. Late model wheels and their associated spacers are. Baer brakes and TCP upper and lower control arms are as they bolt in also. Cutting dash for CD - not, subframe connectors - not, shelby style hood - is, GT valence with trumpet exhaust - is, etc. A clear title to the thread helps a lot too. "Motor question" is very generic, whereas "Putting a Paxton Supercharged V-10 into a I-6 '65 coupe, question.." might pull someone who knows about it to enter the thread.

SuperDave said:
If only those who SUPPORTED the discussion reponded, how would the poster learn the problems and pitfalls of what he is proposing? :shrug:

Good point, but try and put yourself in their shoes and see how it feels, it doesn't feel good. Maybe people need to be less harsh and discriminative when someone posts a topic about this. Just give them the facts if that is what they are looking for, not all of the other stuff.

I get what your saying 1320, but restomod now to alot of people (and vendors) is changing stuff and not caring if it is put back. Even if you propose a 6 to 8 swap and it can be changed back, you can take alot of pooh around here. The new mustang mag I just picked up had two nice Eleanor styled cars on it and one had smoothed drip rails. That is considered restomod to alot of people. And god forbid you get on here and talk about turning your 67 or 68 into and Eleanor. Saw those wars last time I was frequenting here. Oh well, gotta go. :nice:

crushnut said:
Good point, but try and put yourself in their shoes and see how it feels, it doesn't feel good. Maybe people need to be less harsh and discriminative when someone posts a topic about this. Just give them the facts if that is what they are looking for, not all of the other stuff.

But what if the facts are that its a huge PITA? There are a couple of other problems that are related. One is, seems the search function seldom gets used. I've seen people ask the same question about 5 posts apart, people don't seem to want to research. The other is, they keep deleting old posts that are FAQ's. I've personally explained how to perform a I-6 to V-8 swap at LEAST 10 times, and I bet I've seen it posted on about 50 times since '98. THAT ought to be a freaking page by itself. And there are dozens of other mods, that are not really being done for the first time that get asked over and over and over. That's a big problem, which is also why I don't post as much as I used to. I once did a great post on widening you're stock wheel tubs, had diagrams, pictures, measurements and such. It's all gone now. And it was several pages long and I spent probably 3-4 hours doing it and answering questions.

Its true 1320, that alot of posts are repeats. I was thinking about that this morning. Trouble is though, just about every available subject has been covered at one time or another. Alot of the older members get tired of it, but alot of the newer members would rather ask a question and discuss it I guess instead of reading old posts. I don't have a solution for that. Ok, this time I am walking out the door. See you guys later. Lets get some more opinions in here. :nice:

I understand what your saying, i think the big reason why people don't use the search function is that it sucks, and that people are lazy i guess. If the facts are that it is a PITA then that is fine, and if they still want to do it after knowing it is a PITA then more power to them, just don't dog the guy for wanting to do it. Oh well, what do i know anyways :shrug:

mp67 said:
I get what your saying 1320, but restomod now to alot of people (and vendors) is changing stuff and not caring if it is put back. Even if you propose a 6 to 8 swap and it can be changed back, you can take alot of pooh around here. The new mustang mag I just picked up had two nice Eleanor styled cars on it and one had smoothed drip rails. That is considered restomod to alot of people. And god forbid you get on here and talk about turning your 67 or 68 into and Eleanor. Saw those wars last time I was frequenting here. Oh well, gotta go. :nice:

It's not so much caring if it goes back, but if the car is worth 10k 20 years from now modded, and 250k in 20 restored, there's a lot more profit in not having to remove and reweld things. I think that's the way SD sorta views it. If you're putting in a 347, T5, and TTII wheels, you can always put back a 302, 3-speed, and some styled steel wheels. If you've gutted the floor and built an entirely new 2x3 chassis with air bags and such, it's just too much to go back. But on another hand, if it's a '65 I-6 coupe that has the floor totally rusted out and the front clip is smashed and you're Pro Streeting it and putting a 1 piece 'glass clip and doors on it and welded some new far east quarters on it that have have the wells stretched, you've basically brought a car back, but if you're doing that to a K-code coupe, or an original Trans Am Shelby notch, you're sorta destroying history. Does that make any sense?

1320stang said:
I've seen people ask the same question about 5 posts apart, people don't seem to want to research. The other is, they keep deleting old posts that are FAQ's. I've personally explained how to perform a I-6 to V-8 swap at LEAST 10 times, and I bet I've seen it posted on about 50 times since '98. THAT ought to be a freaking page by itself.

BTW, Isn't that the reason why this sticky was made :shrug:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=403856

Can't help but feel that I promoted most of this discord. :D 1320 is accurate in his assessment of me. It might surprise you but, truth be known, I'd build "The Ronster" if I had a deserving car. The fact is that I have beautiful restored original convertible that should be respected and preserved.

I guess my major "beef" with "resto-moders is that their ambitions often run way ahead of their abilities and funds, both of which they tend to overestimate. I would like to see a better appreciation of basic mechanics and tools before people jump into a major project, especially if they are beginners. So many nice cars have been destroyed this way. It is the RARE car that is nicely done and appreciated.

Sure, you can "learn by doing" but at what cost? I'm retired and can invest my time anyway that I choose. Many here are young and still in school or college. Seems like dumping time, money and energy into a car at a young age is misguided and is likely to forfiet the possibilities of the future. Simply restoring a car is a great way to learn the basics and to gain an appreciatioon that competency comes with understanding. With that understanding comes the ability to make sound judgements. All of this takes time.

I say to most, RELAX, get a good education, learn the basics and don't let your automotive abitions get ahead of you.

Common sense is required when posting. The poking fun at someone for the engine they have in their car, that they want to keep it stock (or mod it to extreme levels for that matter) needs to stop. I got upset the other day when someone quoted me and twisted things up. I shouldn't have let it upset me as much as it did, but what happened, happened. Anyway, I do not believe an extra forum is needed. Its good to hear it from all sides.

By separating into small sub forums we will dilute the amount of knowledge in any one forum. Besides, what's to stop someone from going into another forum and voicing the same opinions? For example a "purist" invades the "restomod" forum and says the i6 to v8 swap is a PITA. We can't even get people to post OT stuff in the Talk forum and now you want to have a split into very subjective (as pointed out already) areas? Maybe we should just have an additional forum called "YES" where any responses to the thread have to be in agreement, That will make everyone happy. How pathetic are we becoming that we can't handle someone NOT agreeing with, or pointing out problems with our "plan".

I can't tell you how many people have come to this forum and talk about building some bad ass TT, SC, Stroked, poked, super, uper, duper, high horsepower stang. I used to try to point out that these cars are tire limited, need brake & chassis upgrades, etc only to be told to stfu. Most of these people have either sold the stang or drifted off into never finish the project land.

There are reasons that those with experience and knowledge often point out the negatives.

I like the idea. That's because the 6 to 8 swap is one of the main topics I ask about and most of the time the question I ask never gets answered...I'm simply told I need to buy a new V8 car. Now if I wanted to do that would I be asking about the 6 to 8 swap? No. So thats my opinion on this. I would love to have a forum to go to to talk to people that have done it and that can actually help me out instead of telling me to sell my car and buy another one.

brtnstrns said:
I like the idea. That's because the 6 to 8 swap is one of the main topics I ask about and most of the time the question I ask never gets answered...I'm simply told I need to buy a new V8 car. Now if I wanted to do that would I be asking about the 6 to 8 swap? No. So thats my opinion on this. I would love to have a forum to go to to talk to people that have done it and that can actually help me out instead of telling me to sell my car and buy another one.

If you read the responses, seems to me we've pointed out the problems that you'll encounter. I've suggested that you read the Mustang magazines for a detailed and illustrated explanation. If you want someone to hold your hand and explain how it can be done you'd be better off reading the magazines and study the pictures.

Yes, I've actually DONE the swap and that experience prejudiced my opinion. It would be difficult to describe what's involved unless I knew more about YOU and your abilities. Are you going to use a donor car as suggested? Are you prepared to cover the expenses? Do you have the skill and the tools? etc.

I realize that's NOT what you are looking for. OK, I'll stop now. :rolleyes:

brtnstrns said:

The reason you get te "buy a v8 car" response is that those of us who have done the swap know how much time and $$$ it takes. Honestly, if you have to ask what's involved it probably is out of your current skill range (That is NOT a slam but a mere statement).