New Forum for Stangnet?

• Sponsors (?)

akd67 said:
How about a forum where you can show boobies?A lot of the the boat forums have em!

There's lots of places to see that, we don't need it here. Back to the topic...

crushnut said:
BTW, Isn't that the reason why this sticky was made :shrug:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=403856

Okay, you got me there, I didn't even know it existed. I see the FAQ tab, but find out that I have to ask a question (search) to find it. I don't even know how you got to that thread (I didn't try the search function under the FAQ). I think if you want to have a seperate forum, I think it ought to be a FAQ forum that no one can post to, only moderators. If you have a question about a FAQ, you put which FAQ # it is and post it in the regular forum. If it's something not covered, then a moderator will add it to the FAQ forum.

But SD's right, if you can't simply put it back the way it was (restoring, repairing) how the heck do you have the skills to modify it? For example, my boss, a mechanical engineer (doctorate), has a 70's Oldsmobile land barge that he drives. He just put a new battery and a resistor into the car as it wasn't holding a charge in the old battery. It still won't. The alternator has been tested, and it's putting out an acceptable amount of voltage (can't remember the number). The cables test good for resistance and the alternator appears to be charging the battery and the car will still run after the cables are removed from the battery. We have an electrical engineer that is also a gearhead that's looked at it, we still can't figure it out. About the only possibility I can think of is a bad new battery as there is no draw (dome light, etc.) while its setting. There's a fried ground wire from the post to the radiator support that's probably a 8-10 gage wire that's just missing the insulation. We were wondering if it's a fusable link, but it's not burned thru so...... :shrug: I guess this means I shouldn't modify anything? :rolleyes:
(Answer to follow, but postulate your own solutions.)

SD's not saying you need to be a ASE certified mechanic, but you need to be able to diagnose simple problems. There are tons of project cars out there that have been started, but not completed, because of money woes, or they've just gotten in over their heads. As a parent, I often tell my kids the reason we tell them not to do something is not just to spoil their fun, but that maybe we've done it and there are bad cirsumstances that will most likely arise from the outcome.

I agree with GP, you don't put a top fuel motor in a '65 stang and not expect to do some other upgrades. :D

brtnstrns, have you read the link to the FAQ that crushnut posted above? you say you have plenty of sources that know way more than anyone you've ever met, how do we know whom you've met? I'm not dissing you or your sources. My sources? ASE Ford Mechanic with well over 20 years experience, he also has a 8.40s tube chassis Falcon and has a long experience running SBFs, owns an R-code '69 Mach. ASE Ford Mechanic with 10 years experience, has been drag racing SBFs for 8 years and installs motors, turbos, and superchargers on the side. ASE Mopar Mechanic 15 years experience, former roundy round owner and driver. Race Car Chassis fabricator, former ASE mechanic in an independant garage, building mainly drag cars for over 15 years, lots of 7 second, 10.5" tire'd Mustangs. Through these 4 guys, I've met dozens of others I can get information through, the chassis guy alone has been good for dozens of contacts on his own, I can get info from manufacturers thru him. I also know a guy that restores cars from his house, some of them have had wooden frames, that's how far back his experience goes, another used to restore '57 Chevies, he sold a 'vert for $68,000 at Kruse in Arizona but had about $76k in it (market was down). I know another guy that restores cars, one of which was the first made Shelby Hertz car, not one of the repainted ones. Another is an insurance adjuster and former body shop manager, two others go way back and have direct relationships with Ford corporate and have many old race cars (at last years 100 anniv., Ford had 100 race cars significant to their race history that they wanted at their event, one of these two men had 10 of the cars). Another guy makes parts for street rods that other companies buy from him and sell as their own, he also builds street rods on the side. Two aircraft mechanics, owners of powder coating companies, large well known engine builders, etc.

Answering SD's questions at the end of the first page would help to answer some of the questions of the swap. There was too little info given and the question was vague, we don't know what you know and can't read your mind. Its not a bash. I often try to put myself in the place of the person to whom I'm asking the question to see if I've given enough information. We realize sometimes someone doesn't know what questions to ask, if you take that generalization to assumption, if you don't know what to ask and how much information to give, you're probably not very experienced and may not be able to take on some more complicated projects. Most often though, this is not the case. People just ask a simple question thinking those who answer will know exactly what they're talking about. I guarantee you, we've all done it more than once.

Talk forum, rarely if ever go there myself. A lot of it still spills over into here.

mp67, that is exactly what I consider a restomod as it can still go back to original without any major reconstructive surgery.

I think the forum is great, but I do wish the FAQs were easier to find. I think oboebrian needs to have it permanently installed as a sticky at the top of the regular forum. The only reason Michael Raburn might not want to is that Brian hosts them from his own website and not StangNet's, it ought to be hosted here though, I think that it would help on all the forums.

Make a new forum. I love the purist folks and the restomod folks, but I know how to jump to a different forum just like anyone else. To say that it would dilute the knowledge base is silly. Now I would ask that we get a better search engine on this site!!!! I have to re-ask questions that have been answered over and over because the search capabilities stink. BTW- Stangnet I love ya guys :D

Just break it up and be done with it. I already have to jump to the 5.0 Tech area to ask questions. One more will not hurt anyone.

68converted said:
Make a new forum. I love the purist folks and the restomod folks, but I know how to jump to a different forum just like anyone else. To say that it would dilute the knowledge base is silly.

Silly? So, you are saying that everyone that visits the current forum would visit (jump to) both forums if there was a split?

Fine, two forums, one for both sets, only call them "The thick skin forum" and "The Nancy forum", fine, done, end of argument.

I can't believe all this wishy washy bullcrap, boo hoo hoo, why can't I get a straight answer.

If someone came on here asking how to "work under their car by suppoting it with only one scissor jack, and so where is the best place to put it?" What should the replies then be? Basically you guys are saying that no matter how well versed or seasoned in the hobby we are that if we aren't going to post the location you are looking for, then we should keep our frickin mouths shut? :bs: What were you people raised by wolves? Sorry, but I don't live my life that way. I see someone making a mistake and try the best I can to point it out. If they tell me to go F-myself, then fine but at least my conscience is clear, and next time I will sit back and watch them fall flat on their face. Sheesh, unfrickin believable. When I joined 4 years ago I came to learn what I didn't know yet from those who've been there, now that I've learned I still come here to pay back the favor, leave a penny take a penny.

I don't know who ever said there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I'm starting to think that it defintily predates a forum because lately half the questions might as well be retorical since the only correct response is one that nods in agreement, and that is stupid! :bang:

akd67 said:
Loosen up.It was a joke:rolleyes:

EDIT:Besides if it was a seperate forum you wouldnt have to look at it. Or are you one of those types that complains about tv & radio when all you have to do is change the channel?

But see, that's the problem, sometimes it's not posted in a seperate forum. The place is PG already anyway. Someone could title a post saying "Check out these dual 4/71 blowers on this Pro Street '67 Fastback" and post a nekkid chick with her legs wide open. I've been here almost since the inception of the forum and this kinda immature crap has happened before. I already can't check out StangNet at home when my kids are awake, so I only do it at work, because by the time I get them in bed, I'm beat. I work pretty hard, I don't have time to live my life here.

Radio - I don't listen to the stations that have crap on them. As a matter of fact, the station I listen to doesn't even have commercials on it.

TV - I don't have cable and yes I was outraged at the Janet Jackson debacle at the Super Bowl. Yes, at 18 or 19, I sadly admit, I would have thought it pretty cool, but I've grown up and have my own kids, 2 daughters (11 & 7) and 1 son (3) and I don't want my kids thinking that kind of stuff is acceptable behavior. I'm amazed at the things that people wear and do now-a-days. When you get close to 40 you'll probably think the same way whether you accept whatever it is or not at that time, you'll still be amazed because your generation never pushed the envelope that far during your time.

1320stang said:
But see, that's the problem, sometimes it's not posted in a seperate forum. The place is PG already anyway. Someone could title a post saying "Check out these dual 4/71 blowers on this Pro Street '67 Fastback" and post a nekkid chick with her legs wide open. I've been here almost since the inception of the forum and this kinda immature crap has happened before. I already can't check out StangNet at home when my kids are awake, so I only do it at work, because by the time I get them in bed, I'm beat. I work pretty hard, I don't have time to live my life here.

Radio - I don't listen to the stations that have crap on them. As a matter of fact, the station I listen to doesn't even have commercials on it.

TV - I don't have cable and yes I was outraged at the Janet Jackson debacle at the Super Bowl. Yes, at 18 or 19, I sadly admit, I would have thought it pretty cool, but I've grown up and have my own kids, 2 daughters (11 & 7) and 1 son (3) and I don't want my kids thinking that kind of stuff is acceptable behavior. I'm amazed at the things that people wear and do now-a-days. When you get close to 40 you'll probably think the same way whether you accept whatever it is or not at that time, you'll still be amazed because your generation never pushed the envelope that far during your time.[/QUOTE

Im 34 and havent grown up much past the 16yr old mentality when it comes to nudity. I do see your point about kids. :nice:

akd67, as a side note, I just saw your tag for your ride. Gotta date code? Been looking for a Feb 7 code as that's my birthday, closest I've found is a Feb. 17th C-code 'vert. Someday I plan on owning a '67 with the same birthday as mine.

Holy cow, how many times can this be asked? There's no reason for it. If someone gets upset because someone they've never met before tells them it's wrong or incorrect to do something on thier car, they have issues. I don't expect everyone to agree with either of my cars directions (stock & shown 00, totally not stock, not even moving to go to a show 73), nor do I care if they don't. Why make more forums just because of that? Geez, another never ending "discussion". I appreceiate everyone's replies to my questions, as someone pointed out, even if someone says "hey, don't do that because...", maybe they have a valid point regarding a problem I never even thought of. We (my husband and I) don't know all there is to know about what we are doing with the 73, and maybe some people don't think we're going about it the best way (learn by doing), but we can't just go and learn about it then come back and do it. So, I come here with a plethera of questions on each project we undertake-so far so good! You wanna see another never ending discussion that will never be resovled or agreed on? Go here (warning, this is a LONG thread, lol): http://www.wnycarclubs.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=550