New Leaf Springs For '67 Coupe

Rmoore45

Jun 5, 2011
I want to replace my old sagging leafs on my car but I'm not sure which ones I should get. Grab a Trak has quite a few options, there are also replacement springs sold by mustangs unlimited. For the most part my car is my daily driver, I would like a nice ride and not be too stiff. I'm also going to do shocks, gears, limited slip, and traction bars (maybe). I already have everything else figured out but I'm not sure on what springs I should get. I have done the Shelby drop (moved UCA mounting point) so it definitely sits fairly low in the front. I do want a nice positive rake to the car, have always liked it when the back was a little higher than the front. I'm thinking about the standard or mid eye 165lb 4 leaf spring. Does anyone with experience with replacing the leaf springs have any comments?

Thanks, Ranger

• Sponsors (?)

if you want the back a bit higher than the front then you dont want the mid eye option, nor do you want the reverse eye option. they will only lower the car. i have always felt the stock springs could be a bit stiffer in the rear, thus i would suggest going with the 4 1/2 leaf option. it gives a bit more spring rate overall, and it stiffens the front of the spring to help prevent spring wrap. which ever choice you make, be sure it is part of a complete system that includes shocks as well.

I did the performance coil springs in the front which dropped the height about an inch. To match that height I replaced the leaf springs with mid eye 4.5 leafs. That made the rear end was almost exactly an inch lower than the front. That didn't work for me. So we cut 1/2 a coil off the front springs and dropped the front an inch. Then the too wide tires I had rubbed when I hit a dip in the highway. Ended up swapping the brand new front tires out from 245/60R15 to 215/65R15's. Inch narrower and about the same height as the rear. John at OpenTracker Racing who I got all the parts from told me you never know what the final impact is to these kind of changes. Sometimes you have to tweak your results. I love the way my 68 Mustang handles now. Very tight. Sets lower. Handles very well. Swapped out the front single piston disc for a set of Wilwood 4 piston discs. Also rebuilt the entire front end with new shocks all around. Very happy with this setup, now.