• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

New Member And Already Need Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sn95bythebay
  • Start date Start date Jul 27, 2017
S

Sn95bythebay

New Member
Sep 1, 2016
19
0
1
Jul 27, 2017
#1
  • Jul 27, 2017
  • #1
I owned my 96 mustang gt for a few years now and it's time to remove the engine to take care of my cars cancer rust! I need room to get to the strut tower/frame rail to repair the rust and need room. This will be my first time removing the engine from my mustang and I am wondering what is the easiest way to remove the engine? Should I take the transmission with it? Any information on this would help alot, I plan on yanking the engine this weekend.
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Jul 27, 2017
#2
  • Jul 27, 2017
  • #2
There does not appear to be a consensus on what is best, partially due to what apparatus you have available. Try Googling remove engine 1996 Mustang and you will get a multitude of possibilities.
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Jul 27, 2017
#3
  • Jul 27, 2017
  • #3
IMO the reason you won't find a consensus on this is that it DEPENDS. It depends upon your set up and available tools. It' also depends upon how much help you have and how much risk that you are willing to take.

For example. Do you have a full car lift? Will you have help? Do you have a load leveler? Do you have a high capacity engine crane? Will you want a "roller" when done?

In my case I would take the engine out and leave the transmission. Why? Because:
  • I frequently have to work by myself.
  • I have a medium capacity engine crane and I would be concerned about the ability of my crane to lift the engine and transmission combination HIGH enough to clear the radiator core support.
  • My load leveler is a cheap Harbor Freight version. Also would be concerned about it's ability to support and level the size and weight of a motor and transmission combination.
IMO to remove the engine and transmission as a unit you should have:
  • A first class load leveler. Will need to adjust a very heavy and long combination as it comes out to prevent damage as it's removed.
  • A high capacity engine crane with high lifting capacity when the boom is fully extended. Don't just look at the crane's lifting capacity but note the capacity when the boom is extended. All will be able to lift enough when the boom is short. Few will be able to do it with the boom extended.
  • The correct engine lifting special purpose tools to keep from damaging the valve covers and other parts.
  • One or Two "buddies" helping.
The people that promote removing the engine/transmission together usually have heavy duty tools and good help.
 
Last edited: Jul 28, 2017

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Jul 28, 2017
#4
  • Jul 28, 2017
  • #4
Rent the right cherry picker for the job, high lift, overcapacity, long or short reach etc be safe. It boils down to if you would rather remove more stuff to remove it as a unit or fight the tranny to engine removal/reassemble. I prefer to do it as a unit unless I am in a big hurry and I don't have much help, it is much easier to service the engine and tranny with it out ie dropping pan changing filter/ATF, general inspection, especially rear seal. I also check out the driveshaft and do the u-joints if necessary, my cars always have lots of miles and I hate being stranded for normal maintenance crap. I might be a little OCD with my cars though.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
80
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
A
Help ID - Turbo GT, SVO differences
  • aldoelmalo
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
157
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 2, 2026
aldoelmalo
A
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
443
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Paint and Body Strut tower beginning to break apart, how long do I have ?
  • AnthonyA1234
  • Apr 4, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 21, 2025
AnthonyA1234
C
SN95 Another Coyote swap list
  • catkiller
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
269
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 8, 2026
bjornsn95
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?